which 1st family boat ????

BruceK

Visit site
Re: Found It!

Nearly 16k posts and you're still chewing that same old bone. Full marks for perseverance.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site

I recommended the Sealine S34 earlier which was above budget but have a look at Baveria. I've no direct experience but reviews show an excellent hull and excellent value for money when new which will follow on to the used market. I would think you could get something around a 2002 35 footer with twin Volvos for close to budget.

andyjcox1

Visit site

If it was me in your situation, I would be looking at a Fairline Targa 33 or Princess 330 for that budget. It then depends if you prefer the wind in your hair type boating (Targa), or abit more of an indoor experience (Princess) and the practicalities of having a young family. You may be doing a lot of the berthing yourself while your wife looks after the kids. If that is the case, the Targa would be easier.

Step1

Visit site
Sam

We were in a very similar position this time last year. Wanted something for wife and 2 kids (5 and 8) that we could spend weekends on bobbing around the solent for day trips and occasional stay over. This time last year I starting looking at Searay 215s as I thought that would fit the bill, as I thought we could trailer it between the Thames and the Solent. I then decided that trailer sailing would wind me up. It does now with a dinghy we throw on the Thames whenever the sun is out. Then looked at a Sealine S25. Great little boat and fitted the bill perfectly as a first boat for a small family perfectly, although with 3 kids maybe too small. That deal fell through and despite my disappointment at the time, looking back we would have outgrown it pretty quickly. Then I upped the budget a chunk and started looking more in the 28-34ft range, so Sealine S28, S34 and Targa 29/30/34s. Decided a Targa 34 was the one to go with and looked at a few of these in more detail. Then decided we'd outgrow that pretty quickly and so hopefully, he says with everything crossed, i'll complete on a Targa 38 over the coming days.

My point is, go and sea as many boats as you can and take the family. You'll soon realise how big the boat actually is when the wife, kids, you and the broker are on board looking around it. Then decide are you likely to take friends out with you as well occasionally. For your current budget (I say current, as if you've got the extra funds expect to use them once you start seriously looking!) the searay looks a great shout for a newer boat, but if you want twin engines, then the Fairline Targa 29/30 should be in range or a nice Sealine S28. The latter has a lot of space on it for 28ft which may suit your larger family better.

Good luck with the search, and here's praying for some sun sometime soon!

Stats007

Visit site
I only have experience of a Sealine S23 and an S28 but they both bobbed around like corks with no seakeeping abilities whatsoever. If you want a proper sea boat buy a Targa or something from Sunseeker. As always there will be a compromise between hull design and usable internal space but I'd rather have a decent hull than a floating caravan!

BruceK

Visit site
I only have experience of a Sealine S23 and an S28 but they both bobbed around like corks with no seakeeping abilities whatsoever. If you want a proper sea boat buy a Targa or something from Sunseeker. As always there will be a compromise between hull design and usable internal space but I'd rather have a decent hull than a floating caravan!

Or you can have both bringing us back full circle to something like.... oh say a Formula 34 :p

oldgit

Visit site

Nearly 16k posts and you're still chewing that same old bone. Full marks for perseverance.

....a very nourishing and meaty bone it is too,not likely to go off anytime soon either suspect there is considerable life left in this particular femur and tibia :)

Last edited:

CLB

Visit site

Can't speak for the s23 as never been on one but the s28 is a great boat for its size. Surprisingly good sea keeping. I know there are a few forumites that would agree with me.