Volvo Penta D6 - 380hp

Storma

Visit site
Hi, I’m looking at a used boat (2019) with a Volvo Penta D6 380hp. Just sold my previous boat which was fitted with a KAMD43, 230hp.

I carried out all routine maintenance on the KAMD myself and would hope to do similar on the D6.

Given that the D6 is quite different in terms of the engine management system, common rail fuel injection etc, etc is there any reason why a competent owner can’t carry out basic routine maintenance ?

I’m thinking more in terms of resetting maintenance intervals / settings / soft ware updates etc.

Thanks.

SC35

Visit site
You won't be doing software updates or resetting any maintenance intervals.
Cleaning out the intercoolers / heat exchangers is also not really a DIY job unless you are "advanced DIY".

But basic DIY servicing on D4/D6 is entirely possible - I do the basic stuff myself, and Volvo Paul does the tricky bits such as changing the drive bellows.
Changing belts / filters / oil / outdrive oil etc is straight forward, and the valve clearances sort themselves out.
A slim filter wrench helps get filters off.
And I have a special tool to help with the inner supercharger belt which has a very strong spring self-tensioner.

Storma

Visit site
Hi Thanks for your reply and the encouragement to carry out the basic maintenance. Just to clarify are you saying that it’s not possible to reset service interval reminder (or any other similar reminders) unless you have access to the appropriate software / laptop. In other words you need to be a Volvo authorised engineer like VP.
I’m just used to working on the older style engines before electronic engine management became the norm. It would be annoying, for example, to have carried out and oil and filter change only to be continually “reminded “ that you need to do this.
Thanks again.

SC35

Visit site
Hi Thanks for your reply and the encouragement to carry out the basic maintenance. Just to clarify are you saying that it’s not possible to reset service interval reminder (or any other similar reminders) unless you have access to the appropriate software / laptop. In other words you need to be a Volvo authorised engineer like VP.
I’m just used to working on the older style engines before electronic engine management became the norm. It would be annoying, for example, to have carried out and oil and filter change only to be continually “reminded “ that you need to do this.
Thanks again.

On my D4s, there is no "service interval reminder" to reset.

"Vodia" (Volvo Dealer Tool) is more about testing, fault detection, diagnoses, adjusting some engine parameters, calibration, etc. although there is fair bit you can do with strange sequences of button presses, but I do not go there ... here be dragons. Andyroonot is the "go-to" forum member who knows their onions when it comes to the electronics.

madabouttheboat

Visit site
Service reminder are only on the latest products, EVC2 I recall. Basic servicing of a D4/D6 is straightforward although you will need a special tool to replace the inner belt. The problem comes when you get a fault code or alarm. The owner really can't do much apart from call up VP. You might, depending on the generation of EVC and display fitted, be able to read the fault code which might help pinpoint the problem, but resetting/clearing codes and software updates is VOP only.

SC35

Visit site
Service reminder are only on the latest products, EVC2 I recall. Basic servicing of a D4/D6 is straightforward although you will need a special tool to replace the inner belt. The problem comes when you get a fault code or alarm. The owner really can't do much apart from call up VP. You might, depending on the generation of EVC and display fitted, be able to read the fault code which might help pinpoint the problem, but resetting/clearing codes and software updates is VOP only.

It depends on the fault code ... I had an air leak because a fuel filter came loose: that fuel system fault code sorted itself out when I tightened up the fuel filter.

You can "acknowledge" fault codes using the buttons, but as you say, there are also a bunch of fault codes that would need a dealer to sort out - usually because something actually needs to be fixed first.

Storma

Visit site
Thanks again for your replies, I’ve got an offer in for the boat so if successful no doubt I’ll be back. Over the years I developed some expertise on the KAMD engine but D series will be a new start.
As mentioned it’s a 2019. D6, 380hp with about 170hrs. Shaft drive, no super charger.