Volvo DPH Rudder Indicator Cable Install

spannerman

Visit site
I always found it easier to push from the outside, I put two 8mm nuts on the end locked together so the threaded end doesn’t dig into to the rubber tube and jam, grease well and it should go through easily.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I always found it easier to push from the outside, I put two 8mm nuts on the end locked together so the threaded end doesn’t dig into to the rubber tube and jam, grease well and it should go through easily.
But in past attempts you can run the risk of punching a hole in the rubber tube , I use a piece of plastic tube over the thread well lubricated does the trick or take out the tube from the transom shield it’s really easy then .

kennyh

Visit site
But in past attempts you can run the risk of punching a hole in the rubber tube , I use a piece of plastic tube over the thread well lubricated does the trick or take out the tube from the transom shield it’s really easy then .

I’ve got the “guide” part which is a small bullet shaped part which fits on the thread - so all should be good there.

kennyh

Visit site
Right - gave it a go and gave up! The feeder rubber tube on the inside is simply too tight a turn to get the long metal portion of the cable through.

Is there any special trick to this; do I need to remove the turbo / exhaust hose to give more room? Certainly the block sits very close to the transom and as such there is very little room to allow the cable to feed round the curves required to exit the rubber tube.

Any thoughts (ignoring any guidance to take the engine out)?

spannerman

Visit site

Thats why I put the two nuts right at the end of the thread so that it forms a ball which can’t punch through the tube.

spannerman

Visit site
Right - gave it a go and gave up! The feeder rubber tube on the inside is simply too tight a turn to get the long metal portion of the cable through.

Is there any special trick to this; do I need to remove the turbo / exhaust hose to give more room? Certainly the block sits very close to the transom and as such there is very little room to allow the cable to feed round the curves required to exit the rubber tube.

Any thoughts (ignoring any guidance to take the engine out)?
You don’t have to remove the engine, just the air pipe, it is tight but you can definitely do it this way, just pull the inner cable fully out so the solid metal end part of the cable that has to go round the curve is as short as possible.

Andyroonot

Visit site
When you say “the air pipe” are you referring to the exhaust hose / turbo hose?
The 90 degree rubber section between the air filter box & the metal pipe before the turbo is all I ever used to take off. It’s a two person job, with the person on the inside responsible for helping ‘encourage’ the rigid metal part of the new cable past the bit it hits against as soon as you’ve threaded it through the transom…

Other threads that may be of interest