Stanchions akimbo ?

EnglishIrishman

Visit site
On my (relatively new to me) Parker 21, the midships stanchions are quite bent, but before I go about straightening them, should they be straight (i.e. normal to the raked side-decks and therefore splayed out somewhat ) or plumb ( i.e. still a bit bent ) ? They're the little short aluminium stanchions (circa 400 long) with a single lifeline.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
straightening tubular stanchions is very difficult to get right as there will still be some bend / kink in the pipe.

The normal way is to cut the bend out and insert a piece with sleaves inside and welds and polish the welded join

What are your stanchions made from stainless steel or aluminums

EnglishIrishman

Visit site
They're aluminium.
I'm well familiar with the perils (and likely success or otherwise) of re-bending aluminium, and will replace if necessary, but I'm just not entirely sure what the target is.... straight or plumb ?

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I don’t know about your boat but mine have an offset from the deck that increases as you go forward. It keeps the stanchions from protruding outwards. Beam stanchions are not offset.

Misterbreeze

Visit site
I replaced all my stanchions and bases last year and inadvertently ordered straight bases instead of angled (6°?) as per originals. Net effect is the stanchions splay out but allow more room for squeezing round shrouds in wet weather kit on a narrow deck, so rather pleased I got it wrong!

William_H

Visit site
If my experience is anything to go by your stanchions were bent when arriving at a jetty. Hence the more they extend outwards the more susceptible to damage again. In fact I gave up on stanchions for this reason on 21fter. ol'will

DanTribe

Visit site
My S/S stanchions became bent inwards from years of people pushing on the top.
I have turned the whole lot round so that they now splay slightly out. No detrimental effects so far.