reconditioned engine v brand new

jezjez

Visit site
The boat i'm thinking of buying has been given a poor survey ont its engine. I will probably not agree the price of a new engine from the owner, but is a reconditioned engine worth the money or should I at least try for a new engine?
This one is 16hp, if that makes any difference. All interest greatly received. Thanks.

nigelhudson

calculuscontracts.co.uk
Depends what's wrong with it - if it's low on compression or a poor starter then it is worth lifting the cylinder head off and just refurbishing that. You'll definitely get change out of £200 for that job. On the other hand if the bottom of the engine is badly worn (bearings, bores etc.) then it probably isn't worth the bother of fixing it.

johndove

Visit site
Need to know more, make age

A 30 year old rust lump know. A mordern engine worth a
thought, but budget for a knew one.

Also with new fine out what engine will go strat in. On same engine bearers etc. can cost more to fit than buy the new lump with new prop, shaft, exaust controls engine beds and time to fit!

ditchcrawler

Visit site
When I bought my boat I was surprised to see that the engine(Volvo2003) had been completly rebuilt at a cost of nearly £4200(inc gear box splines).This is good for me but I would have had a new engine.It can be very expensive to rebuild !!!

30boat

N/A
Visit site
I probably would opt for a new engine.A marine engine leads a very hard life unlike your average car engine and they don't age well.And spares are usually expensive.You could end up spending a small fortune only to find out that it's still an old lump that needs attention all the time.I speak from experience having thrown a lot of money at an old Bukh that I then discarded for a new shiny Beta.

Refueler

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Also with new fine out what engine will go strat in. On same engine bearers etc. can cost more to fit than buy the new lump with new prop, shaft, exaust controls engine beds and time to fit!

[/ QUOTE ]

Aint that the truth ! I had to replace mounts, beds, shaft, coupling etc. when engine broke mounts. Because original beds / mounts were very bad design and fit - they all had to come out. Shaft had to be 'gas-axed' out, coupling was shot. By time engine refitted on new beds etc. no change from 3K.
I nearly had heartattack and others when told couldn't believe it. But once you started to cost up all the work that went into it - you very soon arrived at the figure.

Later it was a god-send that it had been done. I was able to drop replacement engine straight in on same mounts etc. after water got in and hydro-locked old engine. Totalled it inside !
Replacement ? second hand job and years later still performing well.