Notices to Mariners - Week 19

tillergirl

Visit site
UKHO Permanent/Preliminary/Temporary Notices:

1. New Editions of ADMIRALTY Charts to be published on 23rd May, 2024 -
Chart 1534 - International Chart series, England - East Coast, Great Yarmouth and Approaches. 1:25,000; A Great Yarmouth Outer Harbour. 1:7,500; B Great Yarmouth Haven. 1:7,500
Chart 1535 - International Chart series, England - East Coast, Lowestoft and Approaches. 1:25,000; Lowestoft Harbour. 1:6,250
Includes changes to depths from the latest British Government, Trinity House and Great Yarmouth Port Authority surveys.
2. NORTH SEA - Netherlands Sector - Buoyage. - This notice announces a family of four cardinal buoys (one each) marking the site of the ‘soon to come’ Princess Elisabeth Island. This is located west of the Westhinder bank and east of the NE going TSS. NtM 783 placed two yellow special buoys earlier this year in the same location. The Belgium plan is from the ELIA group and the oject is to create an energy hub which will connect UK, Belgium and Norway. I have linked a brochure with the usual pdf image download. The island is to be built from now to mid 2026 and then the energy hub will be built. The location is probably unlikely to hinder leisure craft given that crossing over the Westhinder bank is best avoided.
3. ENGLAND - East Coast - Obstructions. - This notice is probably the product of the detailed survey that the Northern Wind undertook at the end of last year. Two new obstructions off Clacton and Frinton. Both in plenty of water for us so unlikely to hinder leisure craft – but of course might be a good lobster pot place! Traditionally pots in this area are poorly marked by some!
4. ENGLAND - East Coast - Depths. Drying height. - This notice has 13 reductions of depth of which one is a drying height but all are located close in the commercial area alongside the jetties of Shellhaven, Coryton and Chainrock. Illustrating the changes are impractical at the scale available and are unlikely to be anywhere leisure craft should be so for the first time I am breaking my usual practice and not displaying the changes.
5. ENGLAND - East Coast - Wrecks. Depths. - Two new wrecks on the Gunfleet Sands between the east side of the wind farm and the Old Gunfleet Lighthouse. Probably unwise to try to cross the sands at that point. The Notice also has seven reductions of depth, two very shallow depths on the Long Sand, east side of the London Array wind farm and five reductions of depth along the east side of the Kentish Knock. Probably unwise to cross the Long Sand just east of the wind farm. Three images: of the second image at the Long Sand three other reductions of depth reported by the earlier Notice 1880 has been included.

I cannot include the Local list in the one thread - another to follow.

Also I have a problem illustrating the changes. My ISP 'upgraded its service' two weeks ago and as a result I can no longer automatically update the changes. There is a very long tedious, labour intensive work around. I have already worked on it for an hour and a half and I think there are a couple of hours work ahead. I hope the usual service will be back in the morning. I shall notify when this is done. Apologies for the delay.

Daydream believer

Visit site
. NORTH SEA - Netherlands Sector - Buoyage.
In the golden days pre GPS If leaving The Longsand Head at LW & steering 127 degrees, Twin, Garden City & fairy West were handy navigational checks for the West Hinder LV before the final run in to Ostend. Tide would carry one south of the straight line for 6 hours so one would go straight to W Hinder if one was lucky.Then the stronger tide at the other end would take one back on course after 4 hours. So you would miss Twin & the West Hinder bank.
These days of plotters etc., people are more inclined to follow the 127 deg more accurately & cross the bank. That is rarely a problem & in many times that I have crossed it I have never found it an issue. In fact I used it as a a navigational mark by the sudden reduction in depth.
However, This new obstruction that Roger has high lighted could become an issue to those heading further west. ie Blankenburge or Zeebrugge. as it may well fall on the straight track. ( I have not plotted it I confess) It may well be an area to avoid for those going to Flushing & planning on making a dogleg at the end along the coast. I do not know how it fits in with traffic lanes.
So it is quite an important notice. Especially if one has not updated any charts. Does navionics do that automatically? I do not have it.
Perhaps others disagree & it is not a problem to those bound in that direction. Just my observation.

Last edited:

MoodySabre

Visit site
In the golden days pre GPS If leaving The Longsand Head at LW & steering 127 degrees, Twin, Garden City & fairy West were handy navigational checks for the West Hinder LV before the final run in to Ostend. Tide would carry one south of the straight line for 6 hours so one would go straight to W Hinder if one was lucky.Then the stronger tide at the other end would take one back on course after 4 hours. So you would miss Twin & the West Hinder bank.
These days of plotters etc., people are more inclined to follow the 127 deg more accurately & cross the bank. That is rarely a problem & in many times that I have crossed it I have never found it an issue. In fact I used it as a a navigational mark by the sudden reduction in depth.
However, This new obstruction that Roger has high lighted could become an issue to those heading further west. ie Blankenburge or Zeebrugge. as it may well fall on the straight track. ( I have not plotted it I confess) It may well be an area to avoid for those going to Flushing & planning on making a dogleg at the end along the coast. I do not know how it fits in with traffic lanes.
So it is quite an important notice. Especially if one has not updated any charts. Does navionics do that automatically? I do not have it.
Perhaps others disagree & it is not a problem to those bound in that direction. Just my observation.
It’s on Navionics online and on the app.

Attachments

• IMG_3104.jpeg
    IMG_3104.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 17

tillergirl

Visit site
The UKHO actually picked it up from Dutch Notices in week 14 so Navionics will have updated from them.

I do agree on reflection as DB says it could interfere from the Long Sand Head. At the moment it is not a forbidden area but we can expect it to be such when work starts in earnest.