NMEA 2000 wind transducer?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I'm currently planning an electronics upgrade which will see me upgrading to NMEA 2000, and I'm trying to figure out the best / most cost-effective way to go about it. I'm finding it very confusing.

My current wind transducer may or may not be compatible with Raymarine's iTC-5, and it seems like the only way to find out is to buy one and find out - I may need to spend £200 on an iTC-5 only then to go and have to spend £400 more on a new wind transducer.

Alternatively, what options are there when it comes to wind transducers of other brands? Possibly the B&G WS310 Wind Pack, which is about £600, and includes this NMEA adaptor. Any other thoughts?

I tend to prefer wired over wireless.

NMEA 0183 may be an option, as it should be relatively easy to convert this to NMEA 2000, right? Em-trac propose NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 multiplexing as a soon-to-be-released upgrade for their AIS systems.

Last edited:

dankilb

Visit site
We went for a NASA unit with their (new) N2K converter (really this seems just a box of tricks to covert 0183 to 2000?).

Realise after that recent thread that we, too, could’ve just taken advantage of the forthcoming em-track update - but otherwise like the idea of everything coming into our (Garmin) network via the 2K backbone.

jwfrary

Visit site
What is your current wind transducer?

Are you going for analogue gagues or digital gagues?

And what brand is your preferred for replacement!?

KompetentKrew

Visit site
What is your current wind transducer?

Are you going for analogue gagues or digital gagues?

And what brand is your preferred for replacement!?
Discussed here: Wind / speed transducers from old Autohelm instruments to NMEA 20000 with Raymarine iTC-5?

As far as I can tell there is no certainty that my current wind transducer will be compatible with Raymarine's iTC-5, and NMEA 2000 (well, SeatalkNG) is necessary to get the wind data into an Evolution autopilot and i70 displays.

jwfrary

Visit site
Ah gotcha, missed that thread.

I have found itc-5s a bit flaky to be honest, I have a knackered one on my workbench right now, wouldnt give a wind direction only speed, on a perfectly functioning modern wind unit.

I think personally the best way to go is standalone instruments, i60 and the you can head across into the N2k from there.

Tridata, i60 wind and an i70s?

jwfrary

Visit site
Replaced my obsoleted Garmin transducer with LCJ Capteurs. It has no moving parts.
I belive though they ultrasonic transducers are good for wind speed but not so good for direction and therefore undesirable for a yacht with an autopilot in wind vane mode.

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I belive though they ultrasonic transducers are good for wind speed but not so good for direction and therefore undesirable for a yacht with an autopilot in wind vane mode.
I'm surprised to read that, as I found some very positive comments about the LCJ Capteurs on other forums.

E.g.:
  • "I have been happy with the product. I have also a few friends that are using the same sensor and also they have been happy with their units." [link]
  • "I have also been using LCJ Capteurs CV7-C for 4 years. … I have not seen any degrading performance in rain (or snow) and when I was running a parallel mechanical system I had a lot more stability in numbers from the ultrasonic unit. Whenever I recalibrate my instruments, the one factor that never needs to be changed is the wind reading. Big thumbs up." [link]
  • "I'm still happy with the LCJ Capteurs CV7. Is has now been up the mast for closing on 2 year in PNW and it's working perfect. [link] (this guy has posted a number of times on CruiserForum about his CV7 setup)
However a comment in one of these threads suggests other brands may indeed be inferior:
  • At the time I installed my WSO100 [Maretron ultrasonic speed sensor] -- which was in 2013 -- there was nothing but positive information about them. But now we know that they are lemons -- marginal accuracy, and destroyed by water intrusion. The fact is, these (and the similar Airmar WX series sensors) were not designed for this use, with driving rain being driven UP into them when the boat is heeled. They were designed for static meteo installations. The mounting is very awkward for sailboats, and they are not really accurate enough (the Airmar is even worse than the Maretron - 5% RMS in low winds -- that's 18 degrees!!! 2% in perfect conditions -- that's 7%!!). [link]