Narrowboat Hire

Gixer

Visit site
Thinking of hiring a narrowboat for the October half term instead of the campervan we always hire. looking at somewhere between London and Birmingham for a start point and guess you finish in the same place.

Looking for advice, experiences and any thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

PhillM

Visit site
Kennet and Avon is a lovely place to cruise. I’d say the best if the network… although I am sure others will come along with other suggestions.

Foxhangers have the nicest boats. Leave from the bottom of the cain hill locks.

the centre at Hillperton is cheaper. Not bad boats (tbh pretty nice but not as nice as Foxhangers) but part of a larger group so might do deals.

reallycoliholic

Visit site
Had a look at foxhangars and their website is hard work. Put in loads of info but they'll only give price if you call. Not impressed

Daverw

Visit site
We did this a couple of years ago, if I did it again would take my ear defenders, the chug chug did my head in after the first day

R.Ems

Visit site
The country and old locks are lovely on K and A, in many places really.

As said, you want a quiet diesel,, and aa loud hooter!

Rustyknight

Visit site
Just be aware that the K&A has a record of troublesome stag/hen parties hiring canal boats and causing mayhem, with at least two occasions in recent years ending with boats being sunk. :eek:

PhillM

Visit site
Just be aware that the K&A has a record of troublesome stag/hen parties hiring canal boats and causing mayhem, with at least two occasions in recent years ending with boats being sunk. :eek:
Tbh not my experence. Central bath perhaps, although no 1st hand evidence, but outlining have never seen an issue.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
I enquired about hiring a narrow boat locally (North Shropshire) for a short break and was quoted just shy of £1K for three nights midweek off season. I didn’t realise it would be that expensive!

Humm , so I looked up Norfolk Broads holidays , saw advertised price about 350 to 650 , when I looked into it that was for just 3 nights , crikey , allowing for the car journey as well , thats a lota money for an Out Of Season boat hire to me ; so maybe the Marina charges , for own boat , down ere in SW are not too bad after all

Cripes got me thinking of a stratergy for next years season that has yet to arrive

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I recently looked at boat hire on the Canal du Midi in the South of France. Because I'm currently in Hong Kong it's giving me prices in AU$, but the prices for 2 people for 7 nights AU$1600, which works out at just shy of £1000

thamesS23

www.spotonprint.net
have you considered hiring a boat on the river Thames? if so, look at Le Boat (Benson & Penton Hook marina) Kris cruisers (Datchet) or Hobbs of Henley (Henley). There is also Caversham cruisers in Reading, but their boats are very old

The Q

Visit site
A new 40ft Broads hire craft will cost probably £300,000 to buy, over a 30 year life that's 10 grand a year to make.. Actually that's over 26 weeks season per year. Broads tax for that boat would be £600 ish per year. The mooring charges (yes I know they often own their own yards) but it still costs.. maybe £1000 a year.. (that would be 50% to 100% more if you are a private boat owner in a yard)
then you need cleaning, laundry, maintenance , antifouling, insurance.. the yard buildings and staff
so probably £15,000 a year if not more.. before the boat is used...
15,000/ 26 weeks a year season and you're heading for £600 add the tax man wanting his 25% and that's £750.. Add another £50 for fuel
£800 per week.....

SaltyC

Visit site
A new 40ft Broads hire craft will cost probably £300,000 to buy, over a 30 year life that's 10 grand a year to make.. Actually that's over 26 weeks season per year. Broads tax for that boat would be £600 ish per year. The mooring charges (yes I know they often own their own yards) but it still costs.. maybe £1000 a year.. (that would be 50% to 100% more if you are a private boat owner in a yard)
then you need cleaning, laundry, maintenance , antifouling, insurance.. the yard buildings and staff
so probably £15,000 a year if not more.. before the boat is used...
15,000/ 26 weeks a year season and you're heading for £600 add the tax man wanting his 25% and that's £750.. Add another £50 for fuel
£800 per week.....
So, at that rate the costs of my own boat are covered for a year with a mere 5 weeks use??? BARGAIN.

steveeasy

Visit site
Oh can highly recommend a canal boat. Such great fun but choose a circuit with lots of pubs,(well if you want to eat out) and avoid too many locks, they become a pain. I would also recommend the Norfolk Broads, again great for pubs. had so many trips over the years. dont fall in though, its not nice.
Steveeasy

Gixer

Visit site
I did the Norfolk Broads with my girlfriend (now wife) a friend and his girlfriend 25 odd years ago.
l’ll have look at the Broads.

thanks guys

The Q

Visit site
The waters of the broads are a lot cleaner than they used to be.. Over the last 43 years I've been sailing here they have steadily got cleaner.
Saying that as a sailor on the broads we've had people going in the river for all of that time (especially the dinghy fleet).. No one has had any problem with catching anything..
This has been causing a problem as every year the amount of river weed and lilies increases due to the cleaner water , catching on our rudders and keels...
Some people will point to outflows from the sewage works into the rivers ... They are mostly in the winter, and are mostly river water.. When we get floods it goes into the sewage system and has to be pumped back out again..

This year we've been able to see the bottom for most of the year, whereas in the past that would only be mid winter..
It's only over the last few weeks they've clouded over due to lack of rainfall..
There has been so little rain, that with the combination of switching from high air pressure to low air pressure, there has been a salt surge, so Thurne mouth which is 14 miles inland by river, is 100% salt water, when it should be 100% fresh..

Fishing will not be good in the lower waters, for a couple of years as there has been a huge fresh water fish kill..

Last edited: