My wife thinks tied to the side, I think freedom

jezjez

Visit site
My wife agreed to us taking the kids and living on a barge conversion on a pontoon, actually in a very nice spot, last boat out with a pretty view.
But I can't help thinking that living on a boat would be inconvenient, so if we're going to do it, (and I want to) shouldn't we be living on a big (as we can manage) sailing boat and so that we can creep further away from land to experience the adventure of travel and experience?
What do you think?
Here or there?

jezjez

Visit site
As Jean Paul Sartre said: 'choose.'
I'm just thinking out loud and asking opinion.
No suggestions will result in lawsuits!!!

Wansworth

Visit site
I have met offshore adventures who after reaching SPain decided they didn’t actually like sailing about after planning to sail over the horizon.With kids it’s you taking responsibility for their lives and futures which will be changed..........try a short cruise first

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Think you have just answered your own question.

To sell-up and sail away requires a joint commitment, which you do not appear to have.

Agree , dream away and ask the question , then tomorrow you can dream of buying a farm house and being self sufficient, of buying some horses and tracking over the Rocky Mountain.

V1701

Visit site
How old are the kids & what would they do for school if they're of that age and if they are isn't your "freedom" somewhat constrained because of that? I'd suggest go & stay on a boat for a bit - canal or Air BnB, see how you like it or not. FWIW I also have two boats - a Colvic Watson 34 with no mast/sails which has been through the canals to the South of France for a couple of years before my ownership and which by my standards is a big cosy, comfy liveaboard and a Bowman 26 sailboat...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
How old are the kids & what would they do for school if they're of that age and if they are isn't your "freedom" somewhat constrained because of that? I'd suggest go & stay on a boat for a bit - canal or Air BnB, see how you like it or not. FWIW I also have two boats - a Colvic Watson 34 with no mast/sails which has been through the canals to the South of France for a couple of years before my ownership and which by my standards is a big cosy, comfy liveaboard and a Bowman 26 sailboat...
The kids schooling isn't the problem , there many liveaboard with children's on board and they are home schooled some through the internet as there are internet classes.

I do like Ric suggestion , funny if nothing else .

ryanroberts

Visit site
Having lived on a barge for 8 years, I really don't see the point of living in a strangely shaped floating flat that needs constant maintenance (granted the job list can be lot easier with a shore line) unless I am going to move around a lot. Any serious work on a boat you are living on needs an extremely tolerant family or a lot of expensive temporary accommodation.

Have met a few narrowboat families over the years, one 3 generation one in Oxfordshire that sticks the teenagers in a butty (unpowered towing boat) to give them their own space then fits them out with a boat when they come of age, very sweet really.

And yes it needs mutual buy in or it becomes divorce fuel (don't ask me how I know this), which is very rare and you may diverge. Deliberately making both your professional lives more difficult when many see this as a source of identity.. and with children involved as well is potentially a lot of trouble.

Last edited:

V1701

Visit site
Having lived on a barge for 8 years, I really don't see the point of living in a strangely shaped floating flat that needs constant maintenance (granted the job list can be lot easier with a shore line) unless I am going to move around a lot. Any serious work on a boat you are living on needs an extremely tolerant family or a lot of expensive temporary accommodation.

That puts an entirely different complexion on it & totally agree...