Live Tidal Speed Stations UK

B27

Visit site
Surface water flow is generally accepted as the top layer that vessels operate in. There are various components to this and around the UK, the major cause is of course, tide. Tide streams are given as surface water flow. .....
It may be significant that ships operate in a much thicker 'top layer' than we do?
The top metre and a hlaf where my boat operates is probably pretty stirred up by waves and so much more influenced by wind than deeper down.

capnsensible

Visit site
It may be significant that ships operate in a much thicker 'top layer' than we do?
The top metre and a hlaf where my boat operates is probably pretty stirred up by waves and so much more influenced by wind than deeper down.
I don't know how deep the layer is. But it's that top couple of metres that is of interest to us.

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
We are told to keep in shallow water when punching tides and I think we are all agreed, anomalies aside.
I think the deeper water has more force but seems to move at the same speed.
A bit like two similar chariots . One with only one horse and the other with two horses pulling. The two horse chariot has more force rather than extra speed

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
In order to give live tidal streams you need to deploy current meters with a live data feed. That's a lot of hardware to source and maintain to meet the OP's requirements. Tidal diamonds and other stream data were at best obtained by deploying a string of self recording instruments over a month. Observed stream would be correlated with the tidal coefficients. A lower level of accuracy could be obtained by anchoring a vessel and taking a profile of manual readings at 30 minute intervals for 25 hours. If we go back to before my training as a hydrographic surveyor a vertical spar would be released and the drift tracked for about 30 minutes, then returned to the release point and repeated. Predictions would be made from these readings on the assumption that stream was proportional to range at the time of recording.

While sailing I would look for the wake around marker buoys etc. to get an idea of the actual stream.
Interesting life experience for you at that time.
As mentioned, no real commercial demand for general tide speed gauges

I have fitted an electronic log for this season rather than paddle wheels and interested how it performs. Particularly the effect of fouling on the sensor.

srm

Visit site
Interesting life experience for you at that time.
Yes, it had its highlights:
Having my diving gear flown out to the Persian Gulf and being paid to use it.
A portable RDF set being sent to me in Shetland and instructed to charter an aircraft to hunt a lost Waverider buoy.
Client's rep monitoring the largest hydrographic contract in Europe that year.
Taking my yacht loaded with survey gear to undertake a couple of remote contracts.
No need for a holiday as being paid to play/work with boats and expensive equipment.
Much of the time I was freelance and fortunately got headhunted into education just before a downturn that resulted in a lot of ex-colleagues loosing their "secure" company positions.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We are told to keep in shallow water when punching tides and I think we are all agreed, anomalies aside.
I think the deeper water has more force but seems to move at the same speed.
A bit like two similar chariots . One with only one horse and the other with two horses pulling. The two horse chariot has more force rather than extra speed
Having just got in from racing, I can assure you the deeper water moves faster. We had Hall Hunter as our windward mark, it’s outside the shallow water. The tide rips along out there, but only 100m inside, on the Island shore, is the shallow water. You tack up inshore, then those with limited experience go for the buoy. Wrong. As you get into deeper water, the tide gets stronger, and whilst in shallow water it looks like you’ll make the mark, you suddenly find you’re not making it. There’s a fairly clearly defined line, weed, flotsam marking the interface in tidal speed. You can only round Hall Hunter from up tide.

srm

Visit site
I was just playing with my windy.com account and discovered it shows tidal streams and ocean currents.
This is an explanation in their forum:

Copernicus tidal currents data is based on the variation of sea surface altimetry measured by satellites (From CMEMS Copernicus Marine Environment Monitoring Service).
Copernicus Marine Data Store
From this data which gives the sea surface level, tidal currents are computed.
The satellite data resolution is 0.25° x 0.25° or 15NM x 15NM (27km x 27km). That is enough to estimate correctly the sea surface level excepted in closed, long or narrow bays. In fact the tidal currents speed depends also on coast line and seabed mapping. So in some areas these currents are probably underestimated.

Probably the nearest we can get to live data.

srm

Visit site
A 27km grid is a bit useless for passage planning, never mind racing. A difference of 5 metres can be the difference between winning and spectacularly losing around here.
Yes, as the description says, not really any use in "in closed, long or narrow bays" or indeed coastal waters. However, its the closest available to the OP's criteria and could be useful on ocean passages if the vessel has the tech to access it.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Yes, as the description says, not really any use in "in closed, long or narrow bays" or indeed coastal waters. However, its the closest available to the OP's criteria and could be useful on ocean passages if the vessel has the tech to access it.
You don’t get tide diamonds in the middle of an ocean chart, so out there I’ll grant you, it’s all you’ve got.

srm

Visit site
You don’t get tide diamonds in the middle of an ocean chart, so out there I’ll grant you, it’s all you’ve got.
There is average wind and current information for each month on "Admiralty Routing Charts" and the US equivalent "Pilot Charts". Sets of 12 charts for each ocean. Tidal streams are less important once off the continental shelf and away from land so no need for diamonds. Real time current information would be beneficial, especially for slower vessels, as many ocean currents are variable and have eddies that can not be shown on the average charts.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
There is average wind and current information for each month on "Admiralty Routing Charts" and the US equivalent "Pilot Charts". Sets of 12 charts for each ocean. Tidal streams are less important once off the continental shelf and away from land so no need for diamonds. Real time current information would be beneficial, especially for slower vessels, as many ocean currents are variable and have eddies that can not be shown on the average charts.
It’s been some years since my last ocean trip. Return to civvy life, Kids, business etc. But I do remember such things, though never had to navigate anything that wouldn’t do 45kn🤣 And then very rarely out of line of sight.

Reactions: srm