kiddiwinkles - no doubt asked before, but do they cope on board for months and years?

jezjez

Visit site
I can't quite persuade my wife that we could live the dream and sail off into the sunset with our 2-yr-old. She (my wife) likes the idea. She can sail although she's nervous of the big bits of water. But she really can't imagine having a small child in a small (anything under house-sized) boat. In fact, I'm struggling with the idea, too. Before I give up, are there any parents out there who can vouch for the liveaboard life with kids?
I have to say we would be inclined only to day sail and hop along coasts to the Med and (road trailer up to the) Baltic or the other way round using the canals.
Cheers.

Sandyman

Visit site
Over the years we have met loads of sailing families with young kids. Seems most adapt to the way of life very well.

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
We left UK with one aged 22 months the other 5+ yrs. We were away 6 years.

They had a great time - so did we. We circumnavigated so were on the move a lot of the time.

Of course there were the odd 'down' occasions (as with all families) but I don't have a single regret.

Sorry, yes I do - we came back too soon.

mikewilkes

Visit site
We were "given" a 2 year old for 11 months. Mum was in the Army and "Daddy" had decided he was too young to be a father and husband so he p***ed off and left.

I have to say that after she was told how far she could go without wearing a lifejacket or armbands we had a great time. You could say that it took years of grandma and granddad. OK we were only in the French canals and not open ocean but it was magic.

Unfortunately , for us , Mum got a different posting and the wee tot went back to live with her!!!

Yesterday she became a scary 8 year old and she still talks about time on the boat.

Sandyman

Visit site
>Over the years we have met loads of sailing families with young kids. Seems most adapt to the way of life very well.

We have too, they really have fun with other boat kids.

Yep they certainly have a knowledge & persona about them far superior to their landlubber equivalents.

R1chB1ch

Visit site
We moved aboard 8yrs ago with a 10 and 13yr old. Unlike the stories above we are not constantly on the move, but moored in a marina. Kids went to regular school and have the same as any other teenager the only difference being weekends are spent out cruising. Boat is a 50' trawler yacht so big enough we don't fall over each other but still small enough we can use with ease. Now aged 21 and 18 there are no regrets and life can't have been bad for them as the 21yr old is in no rush to move out!