How to replace steering fluid on KAD32

scottyolo

Visit site
Has anyone changed the steering fluid on a Kad32 and if so, what is the process as nothing in the manual and struggling to find anything online.

If it's like a car, do I just syfon out, refill, turn wheel left to right to bleed our air?

Manual says ATF Dexron II, but read that I can use Dexron III now which is backwards compatible. Only question then is, how much will the steering reservior take?

scottyolo

Visit site
I'm having issues with steering where it isn't always very light and it's also looking very dark and probably hasn't been changed for 3-4 years. Think maintainece schedule says do it every 2 years

Chris_d

Visit site
I had the same setup and it is very light on those volvos you can lock to lock with one finger, brilliant. ONly reason to go stiff if reservoir is full is mechanical issue.
Have to say I only did the occasional top up in 15 years but its always dark red, also stick to DII.

scottyolo

Visit site
Ok thanks Chris any idea what mechanical issues might make it stiff. It's not as stiff as when engine is off, so something works at least but not feather light that's for sure

Chris_d

Visit site
No part 23 is the grease nipple you can see it at the bottom in the photo, worth pumping some grease in and seeing if it makes a difference. However if it hasn't been done for a while it might need new bushes which is a boat out job.

I would also check the cable run as something could be crushing or kinking it somewhere which could make it stiff.

Last edited:

scottyolo

Visit site
ah yes i can see it now, thank you. So I just need to plug a small hose on and pump in some grease? Any particular type?