Holland next summer?

jezjez

Visit site
Hello, all.
It’s been 5 years since I crossed the channel. (We have been exclusively in the river with the kids).
Next year we are thinking of Holland from Harwich. My little children will travel by ferry.
I have a salty sea dog to help me get there. What’s the night shift? Is that a flotilla overnight crossing? Where should we go for easy, inland sailing once we arrive? Should we cross at Ostend and travel up? And any other suggestions please!!!

davidej

Visit site
From Mersea, we always left on an afternoon/ early evening ebb and arrive at Vlissingen (Flushing) the following morning , then took the canal to Middleburg (train station to meet crew who came via Stena) for our first night.

Then onwards and upwards toward Dordrect according to how much time you have.

We normally came back via the Rompots for variety.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
All sorts of options available from going to Ramsgate then Calais, Ostend, Vlissingen or Harwich to OPstend and then Vlissingen (longer sail across the tide). Alternatively go up to Lowestoft then straight over to Ijmuiden and into Amsterdam. That’s probably the longest single trip way unless you go from Harwich. I’ve never heard of any flotillas sailing across. There are several books available on sailing in Holland;https://www.imray.com/Publications/Imray+Pilots/Pilots+and+Cruising+Guides/IB0146/ for instance.

jimi

Visit site
This year I went up to Lowestoft and then straight across to IJmuiden (15 hours from Lowestoft). Then toured around the Markermeer and Isselmeer, returned to IJmuiden and went straight to the Orwell (20 hours berth to berth). IJmuiden is easily accessible by public transport from both Hook of Holland and Schipol, I got a 6am flight from Luton and was on the boat 3 hours later. The crossing will depend on the wind eg I had a northerly in both directions, it would be harder on the return with a prevailing SW!! We thoroughly enjoyed the Markermeer and Isselmeer and would'nt hesitate to recommend. Just a taste:
37694193_10216783170711185_5315960582233391104_n.jpg

Last edited:

jezjez

Visit site
That's a great picture.
Did you leave the boat and go back and forth? I wondered about getting in an early summer and then a late summer holiday.

jimi

Visit site
I sailed across with a pal, left the boat and returned as foot passengers on the Hook of Holland ferry. Then returned on the ferry with the car, wife & dogs, then went back on ferry, then flew back across to sail the boat back. We are seriously thinking of keeping the boat there next year.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
We are seriously thinking of keeping the boat there next year.

I am lifting out in Monnickendam this winter and probably taking a berth in Volendam next season. About €1500 for a 9m April to October. Hoping to have more time exploring Markermeer, Ijsselmeer and Waddenzee next season apart from a quick trip to Normandy for DDay 75 anniversary.

Daverw

Visit site
We’ve just last month done our first Holland trip, as we are based on the Humber came down south a bit, planned to go from Lowestoft but ended up going from Wells, that was a bit of a long passage 29 hours into ijmuidan and rested a day before heading into central Amsterdam, we did not have much time so did not go any further but this would be a very easy place to pick up crew/ family and then heading onward. Crossing very easy as we had northerly and just pointed her east and did not see anything during the night, just arrived very tired as wife not well and had to single hand all the way.

johnalison

Visit site
I am lifting out in Monnickendam this winter and probably taking a berth in Volendam next season. About €1500 for a 9m April to October. Hoping to have more time exploring Markermeer, Ijsselmeer and Waddenzee next season apart from a quick trip to Normandy for DDay 75 anniversary.

With the time available to you, I would also suggest visiting Friesland as well, since it is an interesting area. Our first visit was via Vlieland -Lauersoog and back through the canals, all in three weeks in a Sadler 29 from the Blackwater. The eastern part of Friesland is less scenic by boat, but Groningen is a nice town. For a touch of the exotic, you could even go through Delfzijl to Norderney, a place I always enjoy when it's not too busy.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
With the time available to you, I would also suggest visiting Friesland as well, since it is an interesting area. Our first visit was via Vlieland -Lauersoog and back through the canals, all in three weeks in a Sadler 29 from the Blackwater. The eastern part of Friesland is less scenic by boat, but Groningen is a nice town. For a touch of the exotic, you could even go through Delfzijl to Norderney, a place I always enjoy when it's not too busy.

After a summer on the boat this year I will have late May and June on boat, then we will be doing other things with odd weekends rather than a long summer trip.

Been trying to find a decent tidal stream atlas for the Islands. Not found one yet!

jezjez

Visit site
Erskine Childers gives a good account but I'm not sure it's up to date!
I would sail over one the weekends just before schools are out (weather permitting) and want to be 'inside' a comfortable inland waterway where my small children won't be bothered big seas.
Knowing zero about it, the Oostershelde looks like it might be more than just a big river in terms of the potential for wind and waves?

johnalison

Visit site
Been trying to find a decent tidal stream atlas for the Islands. Not found one yet!

I have an excellent Dutch one which I bought over there and I think is easily available. It comes in two booklets, the western one being all you would need. Although not absolutely essential, it is worth having, though it doesn't always pay to be ruled by it. We were tied up in Harlingen next to a charming young Dutch couple and arranged to go to Vlieland in company. To our surprise, he suggested we leave a good 2hrs before the favourable tide. The outcome was that we arrived in good time before the hordes and got a decent berth.

(As a by-the-way, I had a young Dutch work partner at the time, so I asked our new friends to buy for me a saucy postcard that would embarrass him when it arrived. They got well into the swing and appeared later with a dozen for me to choose from, once they had translated them).

MoodySabre

Visit site
In answer to the OP:

First crossing for ages then Harwich - Ostend. Ostend to Middelburg. Don't need to venture too far north - with young kids the Zeeland area is perfect. Many places to stop, including islands with pontoons and a chem-loo. This year I was there with grandchildren on board (8,10 and 14) and they said they had the time of their lives (and these are well travelled kids).

Just remember that the use of debit and credit cards in Holland is limited so take plenty of Euros.

Laurin

Visit site
Hi,

Not often on here but you can contact me on www.svlaurin.blogspot.com or Facebook east coasters group if you want more info and I’m not answering here. We did our first summer in Holland when our kids were 4 and 6 and they did the crossing with us. We did Burnham, Ramsgate, Oostende, Middleburg, Goes and then up into the Grevelingenmere (sp?). We took 4 weeks off work and it was amazing. The kids loved Ramsgate and especially Oostende, in fact Oostende and it’s go Karts, fountains and fireworks is one of their favourite places in the world. We learned from this and went back the following year. Key points.

If you’ve got the kids with you, maybe skip Middleburg as unless the fair is on there really is nothing for them... beautiful town as an adult but a really long walk to the playground... if you can find it. Much better option is Vlissingen, the tiny marina after the big lock in but just before the first bridge. Really friendly and a small kids playground. I would go from there to wolphaartsdijk on the versemeer for free hot chocolate, cheap duvel, playground, bouncy pillow and free kayak hire or alternatively tie up at one of the islands for free.

Next up depending on time is Goes, lovely tiny marina just after Bridge (may need to book ahead). 10 minutes walk to Aldi or big swimming complex with slides and a massive indoor play area we haven’t tried yet. 15 minutes walk into beautiful Dutch market town. Then head for Grevelingenmere. Big inland water... approx 12 euros for a week’s permit to moor on the many islands. Kids will have a ball as there will be many other families there. Some islands have beaches, others wild horses! Port Zealand has free kids stuff on at weekends and an amazing big beach over the other side on the west coast. Back South Close to Roompotsluice is Roompot marina where there is a holiday camp that you have access to with your marina fees. Includes pool with wave machine and inflatables and slide, as well as some other kids activities and an underpaid teenager dressed up as a fluffy rabbit touring around the site. Please note this is a German resort and English not widely spoken but we had great fun. Hope this helps.

Dutch are very kid friendly and it was unusual to find a marina without a playground or in fact a playground without a bar next to it. Rafting up on th Grevelingenmeer is not an issue for the Dutch but this is not an issue and the kids all play together with life jackets on while you relax.

sailorman

Visit site
In answer to the OP:

First crossing for ages then Harwich - Ostend. Ostend to Middelburg. Don't need to venture too far north - with young kids the Zeeland area is perfect. Many places to stop, including islands with pontoons and a chem-loo. This year I was there with grandchildren on board (8,10 and 14) and they said they had the time of their lives (and these are well travelled kids).

Just remember that the use of debit and credit cards in Holland is limited so take plenty of Euros.

Visa more common than MC, service cards in banks ok to get €s