Flotilla holiday with a baby - silly idea?

andyjcox1

Visit site
Hi, I am a Mobo'er to Dayskipper level and want to learn to sail. As part of this plan, I want to go and sail in the sun once I have mastered the basics, probably the Greek Ionian for 7 days with me, the wife, a 9 month old baby and 2 others family members to share sailing/baby sitting duties.

We are all novice sailors but have been boating for a long time in Mobo's. Has anyone done this with a young baby (I know all babies are different but wondered if the type of sailing would be OK, seems to only sail for a few hours each day). Has anyone done this, or should I wait until she is another year older?

Andy

Flying Penguin

Visit site
Hi, I am a Mobo'er to Dayskipper level and want to learn to sail. As part of this plan, I want to go and sail in the sun once I have mastered the basics, probably the Greek Ionian for 7 days with me, the wife, a 9 month old baby and 2 others family members to share sailing/baby sitting duties.

We are all novice sailors but have been boating for a long time in Mobo's. Has anyone done this with a young baby (I know all babies are different but wondered if the type of sailing would be OK, seems to only sail for a few hours each day). Has anyone done this, or should I wait until she is another year older?

Andy

No direct experience personally, but these guys managed it: (admittedly on a cat)

andymcp

Visit site
Dunno if it counts as a baby, but we went with a 13-month old for a 2-week flotilla. Was a doddle, really. Sailing Holidays were great - their lead crews saw to it that we were either at the easier spots to embark/disembark, or that we were away from the noise if we were in busier harbours. As the boats are so set up for shorthanded sailing the actual getting around was no trouble at all - one to point the boat and one to watch the little 'un. Probably biggest hassle overall was trying to keep the kid cool at night, and away from the wasps that are all around the Ionian. At all the stops we had one of the inflatable seats so he could spend loads of time cooling off in the water, and a UV sunsuit so he didn't burn.

Other pointers from that holiday - take plenty nappies out with you as some of the starting places (and first few stops) don't have much for re-supply. Take a battery powered travel fan, helps with the temperature at bedtime (we put the kids up front so they were away from the engine residual heat which seemed to toast the aft cabins for a few hours longer, and the forward cabin can have a draft set up more easily from the windsock. The very first year, when it came to berthing on windy days and we needed all hands (you know that's going to be when baby goes mental... :) ) we had a Sailing Holidays Beneteau 331 which was ideal as the forward bunk came right to the door of the cabin, so we knew that despite the crying, kid was absolutely fine, well cushioned and couldn't fall off anything. Made a stressful situation much less so (we also had an older kid who was sent below to try and calm the wee fella, but not always successfully). We took a v basic pushchair with us, as few restaurants had high chairs and it made for a more relaxing evening out, also made walking to/from shops easier when carting bags around. Some had taken a car seat and rigged that so it swung from the boom or handholds in the saloon headlining, but I never got round to trying it.

Overall, we're glad we took them so young, it meant that each year as they grew to what we would have otherwise been really worried about (the early mobile years) they had some sort of boat sense and were never a hassle to have on board. Enjoy. :)

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
Dunno if it counts as a baby, but we went with a 13-month old for a 2-week flotilla. Was a doddle, really. Sailing Holidays were great - ...

A nine-month old now will be at least 13 months by next summer (or is it very new just now?)!

No direct experience myself, but the SH lead crew, at the end of our fortnight, were rigging one of the boats with netting between the lifelines and toe-rail in anticipation of a toddler(s) in the forthcoming crew.

Mike.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
We've seen babies on charter boats and a little sweetie called Rosie who was one year old on the day she left the Canaries for the Caribbean. Shouldn't be a problem, just make sure she (her cot) is jammed in her berth. Charter boats don't have leecloths so you will have to find a way to do it or keep the cot inside an adult. Even at anchor it can be rollly.

Flying Penguin

Visit site
We've seen babies on charter boats and a little sweetie called Rosie who was one year old on the day she left the Canaries for the Caribbean. Shouldn't be a problem, just make sure she (her cot) is jammed in her berth. Charter boats don't have leecloths so you will have to find a way to do it or keep the cot inside an adult. Even at anchor it can be rollly.

On that point, I've seen various bungie chord contraptions which allegedly worked quite well, including ones where the cot is suspended in mid air by a web of bungies, not that I'd recommend that!

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Had a one year old aboard in 2009. Took fold up buggy and car seat to keep the little rascal in one place when required. He slept on blankets and cushions on the floor in one of the aft cabins. Mum and Dad got in and out using the hatch. Avoid the hottest periods if possible. Just go for it!! Our own kids have always sailed and loved it. (see avatar)

andyjcox1

Visit site
Thanks for the info people, I am very much of the 'just go for it' mentality, but I need to be able to convince my wife all will be safe and relaxing. She will 9-10 months when we go (not the wife), was thinking late April next year, is there a better time for weather i.e. not too hot/windy. Also, I am happy to hear the lead are quite considerate as I would not want to be berthed next to a boat that parties loudly all night, not fair on the little one or the party boat as don't want to spoil their fun.

wellrigged88

Visit site
I think you should take the little-un.

(Best advice from andymcp.)

We took ours (though they were a little older than yours) every time.

We always went with the larger companies though (mostly Sunsail) and told them that we were taking infants.

May I suggest that in addition to you letting the booking dept. know, that you also have a word with the Flotilla Leader when you get there.

Your main problem will be trying to get away from the older ladies on the Flotilla - they love babies!!

Have a great time!

WR

Tranona

Visit site
May and June are the best months. You won't find much happening in April as weather is still unpredictable and the season does not really start until may. May Half term can be good as there are lots of children, but is usually 50% or so more expensive, so with a baby that does not need other child comforts other weeks will do. We took our 15 month old granddaughter one year in May - no problems.

Bebo

Visit site
We have had our little girl sailing from an early age. Also have seen numerous boats in and up the coast of Holland with babies aboard, car seats held by bungee cord and or rope in cockpits etc. One family we were rafted next to said they used luggage straps ( the ones you can identify your suitcase by) to secure the cot in a cabin.......

Think if you go for it with a positive can do attitude you will have a fantastic time

Good luck and enjoy:)

nickf

Visit site
[was thinking late April next year, is there a better time for weather i.e. not too hot/windy.

With a baby I would leave it to May/June. As has been said weather unpredictable in April and more importantly flights to Preveza do not usually start until first week end in May. Would not advise travelling with baby from Athens or Corfu to S Ionian. Most flotillas dont start until May in any case.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Just go for it but remember that you're newish so you need to be able to keep the little one out of the way. Also you need to plan you're sailing as if one adult "isn't there" - if the darling wee bairn has managed to hang herself upside down in the baby bouncer and is gaily banging her head on the cabin sole you need to get to her straight way - not possible if you're in the middle of reefing in a squall for example. Not a real issue - just remember to make sure the bairn's safe and secure before you commit someone for a short time, that sort of thing.

I'm sure you're happy driving with the baby in the car. It's no different - in fact it's probably a lot safer. Just make sure you have the proper set up to look after her. Car seats are brilliant and I can't think why boat builders don't put ISO-fix fittings in the cockpit....

Whiskey Bravo

Visit site
Whilst it seems you've had only positive replies so far, you should be aware of a few not so good things.
The weather can be unpredictable at any time of year in the Ionian, I once had to helm with a tiller for 7 hours when the wind got up to and was consistently F8, that was early June.
Flight delays both in Greece and England are frequent, even without delays the queues in Preveza can be very long and slow. Don't even mention Manchester or Gatwick.
In certain harbours you may find it impossible to moor away from noisy neighbours/bars, eg Preveza town, Fiscardo.
It has been known for flotillas to sail in pretty poor weather/strong winds when there are flights to be caught, although if in the S Ionian you shouldn't be too far away.

Having said all that, it's a great place to go, although personally I'd wait a couple of years, I've seen too many examples of 'Daddy's going sailing so we've all got to go'', with glum faces all round. I'd wait until any child is old enough to know and enjoy what's going on. Then you've a chance of having more than one trip.
If you really must go next year, any chance of leaving child at home with grandparents and going to learn by yourselves?.......no. I thought not!:D

doraymefa

Visit site
I would encourage you to take the baby. We have sailed successfully with ours (now 5 & 6) since the oldest was 15 days old.

When they were tiny the hardest part was always entering & leaving port as the kids pick up on any anxiety. One solution is to take a travelling cot with a zip roof or sides so that they can be secured even when asleap. This means that you can ignore the inevitable yelling whilst you make the boat safe / tie up/ get underway etc. If you have not found a lifejacket that fits yet - keep looking as they exist and take plenty of sun lotion

andymcp

Visit site
If you really must go next year, any chance of leaving child at home with grandparents and going to learn by yourselves?.......no. I thought not!:D
Actually, we did do that for a week first - we took an end-of-season week in the North just to get a hang of the place and the berthing fun.

Now that you point it out, it did give us two very valuable extra pointers for when we went with the little fella - i) always ask the lead crew in the morning if the destination is susceptible to afternoon wind build-ups (thinking Vasilliki (sp?) and Frikes in particular), and if it is then arrive good and early and it'll be fine, and ii) sketch out somewhere less distant to bail out to if the winds do go against you. On that latter point the lead crew were brilliant at letting us know where the other SH flotillas would be, so that there was always somewhere with a welcoming bit of assistance as a back-up.

In the end, we've only had one unpleasantly long haul in heavy winds in 6 years, but that was of our own making (too far away, downwind, away from the rest of the flotilla, on the last day of the holiday).

dedwards

Visit site
We sailed in the solent with our little 'un but hes only now turning 9 months so is a bit different to yours.

Essentially, we fixed a car seat to a saloon cushion using a luggage strap for manoevers or emergencies (only 2 of us on board). Otherwise he was strapped to one of us in a baby bjorn.

Get a popup travel cot with built in mossie net for him to sleep in. This can easily be wedged into a berth or even tied to a saloon cushion using thin lanyard as long as the cot you buy has loops on it.

Our baby generally seems happier on the boat than at home. possibly due to the wave motion or maybe due to the closeness of boat living.

cmedsailor

Visit site
As long as you have a "full time baby sitter" (usually mummy) the 9 months baby is easier on a boat rather than an older kid (say 5 or 6 years). They cannot still walk and they will not get bored because of spending a long time in a boat and have nothing to do. Older kids get bored much easier. You can keep the baby busy the same way you would do at home. Of course no need to say AVOID bad weather. The baby may be too young to realise bad weather but will be tough on you.
I took my kids (6 and 8 then) on a long 27 hours (+26 coming back) passage last year and to keep them busy they had lots of papers and pencils to draw, we had to play with them games plus the usual electronics toys (you know PSP and staff like this). This summer we made another 17 hours passage. We try to sail mostly during the night because they sleep most of the time. Of course this is really tiring for myself as I need to be on watch the whole time but it's best for the kids.
Before taking them into so long passages we made lots of smaller ones (4-5 hours during the day and 12-13 during the night) so gradually they got used to.
Go for it.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>May Half term can be good as there are lots of children, but is usually 50% or so more expensive

I'd check the cost with www.latesail.com around Jan/Feb. There are discounted charters in the Caribbean over Christmas and New Year which is unheard of before and indicates how bad the market is.