Bulb primer in diesel line

Oletimer

Visit site
What I find surprising is that very few marine systems fit pre-filter traps - on any boats and trucks that I worked on, if it didn't have one I'd fit one - it is really an eye opener as to what they stop and, as an added bonus, stopping the junk before it enters the filter means the filter lasts longer, is less liable to get blocked up and less likely to give you problems just when you need your engine to get you away from that lee shore!

Stoshak

Visit site
It is important that the bulb is suitable for use with diesel.

The bulbs used with petrol outboards can go hard in time if used with diesel, and become susceptible to cracking.

Oletimer

Visit site
Excuse my ignorance. What's a pre-filter trap? Is this different from what I think of as a primary filter? Thanks

It's nothing more elaborate than a clear glass jar housed in a filter like assembly that fit's before your paper filter, it's intended to remove water and any debris from your fuel before it gets into and blocks up the filter. The nice thing about it is it's simplicity itself to clean and replace it: There's a thumbwheel in the bottom of the housing, undo that and the jar slips out. M/T the dirty fuel, wipe the jar out with clean rag, (I normally top up the m/t jar with clean fuel because it's easier than filling an m/t jar with the lift pump) slip the jar back into place and tighten the thumb wheel - don't go banana's on the thumb wheel, I've seen the jar's break when someone as been over enthusiastic.
What I really like about this is the fact you can see at a glance dirt, water and debris, so it's easy to keep your system up and running - no more shocks thru dirty filters.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
It's nothing more elaborate than a clear glass jar housed in a filter like assembly that fit's before your paper filter, it's intended to remove water and any debris from your fuel before it gets into and blocks up the filter. The nice thing about it is it's simplicity itself to clean and replace it: There's a thumbwheel in the bottom of the housing, undo that and the jar slips out. M/T the dirty fuel, wipe the jar out with clean rag, (I normally top up the m/t jar with clean fuel because it's easier than filling an m/t jar with the lift pump) slip the jar back into place and tighten the thumb wheel - don't go banana's on the thumb wheel, I've seen the jar's break when someone as been over enthusiastic.
What I really like about this is the fact you can see at a glance dirt, water and debris, so it's easy to keep your system up and running - no more shocks thru dirty filters.

I have been looking for that very think to act like a cyclone does in a dust extraction system.

Do you have any link to the type you describe.

Any thinking on modifying a CAV filter head to fit a glass jar with rubber gasket and screw clamping.

Last edited by a moderator:

West Coast

Visit site
Warning - thread resurrection!

I have a Racor primary filter on my yanmar 4JH5E, with engine mounted electric fuel pump and secondary filter. Issue is that I can only prime the Racor by gravity when the fuel tank is full. So - ideally need a hand primer pump. Been following this thread and others, so decided a bulb type primer seems the easiest way to go (fuel hoses are rubber 8mm bore).

Question - thoughts where can I get a good quality bulb primer? ASAP don't supply them. Want to get one of decent quality as this is permanently fitted in the main fuel line!

zoidberg

Visit site
I discovered, after fitting a new Beta 14 on Special Engine Feet, that the manual fuel lift pump was effectively inaccessible. I could just touch but not operate the little lever. I'm therefore a fan of those 'squeezy bulbs' and had fitted one in a 'handy location' close by the engine-driven fuel pump, where air bleeding may be needed from time to time.

However, I am now considering fitting ANOTHER one just upstream of my paired selectable filters, as suggested by 'bobc'. With regular inspection a given, would anyone see a problem with that?

VicS

Visit site
It may only be individual preference but I think the squeezy bulb option looks a bit temporary. I prefer the type of housing with a piston that can be securely mounted to a bulkhead.
My last diesel car had a squeezy bulb for priming the filter. It was permanent original equipment and securely mounted next to the filter

ghostlymoron

Visit site
A lot of old French diesels had built in primer pumps which can be sourced from a scrap yard for a tenner. With a bulb type one I don't see how you can mount it satisfactorily.

wipe_out

Visit site
I fitted mine just after the shut off valve on the fuel tank and then installed an inspection hatch to easily access it.. Works perfectly.. When changing the filter I open the bleed screw on the filter, pump the bulb a few times and away we go..

VicS

Visit site
A lot of old French diesels had built in primer pumps which can be sourced from a scrap yard for a tenner. With a bulb type one I don't see how you can mount it satisfactorily.
Mine was mounted satisfactorily. I cannot tell you how because i never had any reason to investigate .

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I recently fitted a pre filter sediment filter which came with a hand primer pump that bolted direct to the sediment filter

like this

0088983_hand-primer-assembly-12unf.jpeg

Hand Primer Assembly 1/2"UNF - B7294

I could not fit these as I did not have room so fitted outboard primer bulbs instead.

There are a vast range of quality so check the quantity carefully.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I use gravity, a bit of brilliant French engineering.
So do I currently, (my boat is a Dufour), but I'm planning to fit double primary filters with a switch-over arrangement. This will entail mounting them higher up, where there is enough space, thus nullifying the gravity effect. My best strategy will be to fit a bulb.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
+1 although my Vetus (Mitsubishi) engine is self bleeding. After a filter change give 10 pumps on the lever on the engine mounted fuel pump then crank for max of 10 seconds, usually less then 5, and it starts. No need to open any bleed screws.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
I've just tried to access Asap Supplies site and received a '403 -Forbidden' message. Does anyone know if their site has been hacked, or is the problem at my end?