Beaches with pubs i can anchor off in the summer nearish to Portsmouth.

Adetheheat

Visit site
Obviously I know about Lee on Solent and the Osbourne View pub in Hillhead, but are there other pubs on the beach I can go to and anchor off, then paddle in the kayak to the pub.

seumask

Visit site
Bembridge, pilot boat inn just inside the harbour , and the Crab and lobster on foreland point, you will need to be careful with weather and tides given the proximity of local hazards but both are possible.

Mark-1

Visit site
Bembridge, pilot boat inn just inside the harbour , and the Crab and lobster on foreland point, you will need to be careful with weather and tides given the proximity of local hazards but both are possible.

The cafe on the beach is licensed too.

More of a trek but there's the Waterfront in Totland Bay or Langstone Village, Chichester Harbour if you arrive when there's water. Stunning if you can make your brain filter out the Bridge. (I can!)

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
In the murky past when I had boats in Langstone Hbr ... I could anchor round back of the Ferry Boat Inn (Hayling Island side of entrance) ... dinghy ashore and enjoy reasonable food and pint.

st599

Visit site
In the murky past when I had boats in Langstone Hbr ... I could anchor round back of the Ferry Boat Inn (Hayling Island side of entrance) ... dinghy ashore and enjoy reasonable food and pint.
After last weeks massive tide, I think you can dinghy up to the bar and get served.

Reactions: CJU

dancrane

Visit site
If the wind is light, make the effort and go to Ventnor. It always feels slightly Mediterranean to me. Or West Country, anyway.

st599

Visit site
Must have been interesting for the Houseboats ??
TSUUy1bKoN89quWOE

Dramatic video captures scale of flooding in Langstone due to Storm Barra

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
If the wind is light, make the effort and go to Ventnor. It always feels slightly Mediterranean to me. Or West Country, anyway.

Likewise, visitors welcome in Freshwater Bay. The Travelling Pub, in a bus, the pizza van, and very soon, the totally refurbed Albion Hotel, which has bars, restaurant, and rooms for revolting family. No bad behaviour though, or my daughter will tell you off from her kayak, and you don’t want that.

ashtead

Visit site
If you can make it up Thorney channel then I would recommend House at Home at Chidem -an easy walk from Prinsted which has a small if not that sandy beach so you could paddle there and walk round.
I would not on South Island bother much with crab and lobster -it’s very much a chain type operation but make for pubs in village or better still book a table at Old Fort in Seaview (buoys available in summer) although can be rather Ra in the summer due to clientele not staff. Also I guess a trip to Wotton creek gives a quick drink at royal Victoria yc or the fishbourne inn with a walk.