Banjer-style steel schooner - what's not to like?

MisterBaxter

Visit site
I second the point about hull condition - once the coating goes on a bit of steel you're into a world of unpleasantness. I've had a couple of steel boats and I'd only get another if I was assured of very high quality work on the initial coating; full access to the interior of the hull; and very carefully installed insulation. These last two are not very compatible.

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks Mr T, that genuine Banjer is extremely nice. Interesting to see sail control lines led inside the wheelhouse.

Bit doubtful about the 12-knot top speed quoted there! 😄
Superficially looks OK but like many long term liveaboards closer inspection shows signs of neglect.

Wansworth

Visit site
Not convinced a schooner rig is the best…..lots of weight in rigging and smallish sails especially the foresail……hada schooner and converted to cutter much better performance.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Grit blasting is the only way to prepare both the inside and outside f the hull as I did with mine I then painted mine within a very short time of grit blasting the hull was painted with epoxy tar and the inside with epoxy primer and then ceramic epoxy to allow the inside to be kept clean,

The issue can be chips or cracks in the paint allowing rusting to develop under the paint. Waxoil is a possible inside protection as its flexible

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Not convinced a schooner rig is the best…..lots of weight in rigging and smallish sails especially the foresail……hada schooner and converted to cutter much better performance.
Advantages:

Sail plan divided into more, smaller sails, so easier for a light crew.
More flexibility
Good downwind; can set mizzen staysail and/or spinnaker or cruising chute.
Less stressed rig

Disadvantages

Less efficient upwind.
More complex.
Heavier overall.

Wansworth

Visit site
Advantages:

Sail plan divided into more, smaller sails, so easier for a light crew.
More flexibility
Good downwind; can set mizzen staysail and/or spinnaker or cruising chute.
Less stressed rig

Disadvantages

Less efficient upwind.
More complex.
Heavier overall.
A rig I like would be bermudian with the mast almost amidship with a big staysail and foresail set off the stem head

Wansworth

Visit site
I'd love a schooner on aesthetic grounds! And for a light crew, it is much easier to reduce sail by dropping a whole sail than by reefing. I would accept the performance hit.
The. Gaff schooner I had was a bit small for schooner,AlanPape also drew up a ketch rig which would have been better but the wife wanted a schooner.went really well on a reach,direct downwindwas a pain with the three boomed sails.Onthe wind taking down the foresail really cut the speed on the wind and even though it was 12mts L o D the sails were a handful.

dancrane

Visit site
Schooners certainly are a glorious breed...I'd have no difficulty enduring reduced windward efficiency. And look at the bathrooms you get!

53707349727_9f961c3318_c.jpg

Admittedly, that bathroom is aboard the 2010 replica of Atlantic, around 200ft long.

53708471998_3835d9600d_c.jpg

Boats for sale France, boats for sale, used boat sales, Superyachts For Sale 2010 Classic Schooner - Apollo Duck

Last edited:

Laminar Flow

Visit site
In regards to the potential performance of the boat introduced by the OP: there isn't enough data to make any definitive statement. There is a considerable difference between 15 and 20 tons on a 37' boat. Either way, it is ridiculously heavy.

40 hp are a bit anemic, regardless.

With that kind of displacement, she would need well over a 100 sqm sail area to put up even a minimum, credible performance. I doubt very much she has anything near that much.

As pointed out by some, steel boats rust through from the inside. On the upside, the Dutch have plenty of experience with that kind of material and their boats tend to be well finished and built.

Schooners are lousy upwind and, equally so, directly downwind. I have sailed on and with some. With the advent of modern sail handling systems, the argument for multi-masted vessels much under 50' or 60' is obsolete, not withstanding the fact that we sail one ourselves.

With that slack, round bilge and deeply immersed volume of displacement, I suspect that she might roll quite spectacularly.

At that asking price I would invest in a good survey, including an electronic sounding test for plate thickness.

Banjers started out as a MOBO.
Over time, more and more sail was added, starting with 25 sqm steady sail., then 45 sqm and 75 sqm. In their final incarnation they had 100 sqm. In this model an extra ton of ballast was added and it displaced 14 t; still a long way off from the proposed 20 t of the steel job.