Most Expensive Visitor moorings 2024

Mark-1

Visit site
Langstone harbour is currently the most exepensive in the Solent I think. For 11m boat; to anchor overnight £44 harbour dues (£22 per day), for mooring buoy overnight £59, to stay at Southsea Marina 1 night £93.50 (2x £22 harbour dues, and 1x £49.50 marina fees)

It's under a tenner I think.

Menus | Langstone Harbour

I have to say I despise the Langstone Authorities. I kayaked to the landing area on Long Island on a beautiful sunny day with my family. A special trip, my 5yo son's first paddle of any distance on salt water. We were just leaving when their goons in a RIB planed over to tell us we couldn't land.

I explained I'd researched the islands and it's permitted to land on the South of Long Island. I also pointed the sign that said "landing area". I was polite and as friendly as I could manage under the circumstances. They weren't having any of it.

Then they planed off nearly capsizing my 5yo son in his childs 'mini' SOT kayak. (As it happens he took that in his stride but they didn't know that.)

Perfect family day ruined, should have been a happy memory. Not sure thrashing a RIB around in an area birds nest is a good idea, either.

Visit site
How are you working that out?

Menus | Langstone Harbour suggests £9.10 harbour dues daily for all sizes of leisure vesssel. (do they really charge two days for an overnight stop?). Swinging mooring, up to 24 Hours for vessels over 7.62m, £16.10 (on top of harbour dues). So I make that £9.10 or possibly £18.20 to anchor overnight. Or a max of £34.20 for a night on a buoy, including 2 days harbour dues.

Am I missing something?

(I certainly missed something last time I visited & anchored in Russell Lake - nobody charged me anything so I remained blissfully unaware of the fees until this thread)
Looks like they have changed (back to normal) since March. I was emailing the HM in feb complaing about the £22 rates as thats what they charged a friend and advertised. The HM said they are checking AIS to work out who to charge. Still £9.10 per day is not cheap.

Mark-1

Visit site
It's under a tenner I think.

Menus | Langstone Harbour

I have to say I despise the Langstone Authorities. I kayaked to the landing area on Long Island on a beautiful sunny day with my family. A special trip, my 5yo son's first paddle of any distance on salt water. We were just leaving when their goons in a RIB planed over to tell us we couldn't land.

I explained I'd researched the islands and it's permitted to land on the South of Long Island. I also pointed the sign that said "landing area". I was polite and as friendly as I could manage under the circumstances. They weren't having any of it.

Then they planed off nearly capsizing my 5yo son in his childs 'mini' SOT kayak. (As it happens he took that in his stride but they didn't know that.)

Perfect family day ruined, should have been a happy memory. Not sure thrashing a RIB around in an area birds nest is a good idea, either.

Feels good to get that off my chest. YBW therapy. :)

Mark-1

Visit site
Looks like they have changed (back to normal) since March. I was emailing the HM in feb complaing about the £22 rates as thats what they charged a friend and advertised. The HM said they are checking AIS to work out who to charge. Still £9.10 per day is not cheap.

Do they even collect it? Is it, for instance, included in the Marina fees? Must be crippling for the marina's attempts to attract visitors.

Visit site
Do they even collect it? Is it, for instance, included in the Marina fees? Must be crippling for the marina's attempts to attract visitors.
Previous years they did not enforce collection from visitors, so effectively free. My friend got charged in Feb for visting for 3 hours out of office hours and was cauggt by AIS. In my emails to HM they said due to not meeting budgets (ever) they are actively enforceing, with both on water patrols and checking AIS logs. I did a price comparison with other solent harbours and gave to the marina manager to help in his meeting with the HM. Looks like mine (and others) efforts where worthwhile resulting in a drop in 2024 prices.

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
How are you working that out?

Menus | Langstone Harbour suggests £9.10 harbour dues daily for all sizes of leisure vesssel. (do they really charge two days for an overnight stop?). Swinging mooring, up to 24 Hours for vessels over 7.62m, £16.10 (on top of harbour dues). So I make that £9.10 or possibly £18.20 to anchor overnight. Or a max of £34.20 for a night on a buoy, including 2 days harbour dues.

Am I missing something?

(I certainly missed something last time I visited & anchored in Russell Lake - nobody charged me anything so I remained blissfully unaware of the fees until this thread)

Langstone harbour is currently the most exepensive in the Solent I think. For 11m boat; to anchor overnight £44 harbour dues (£22 per day), for mooring buoy overnight £59, to stay at Southsea Marina 1 night £93.50 (2x £22 harbour dues, and 1x £49.50 marina fees).

EDIT looks like they have reduced their 2024 prices back to normal. The above is what they where planning to charge in 2024, before complaints started comming in.

Still well worth avoiding Langstone Harbour. I see they charge an extra 10 quid if you fail to declare your "visit".

Black Sheep

Visit site
Still well worth avoiding Langstone Harbour. I see they charge an extra 10 quid if you fail to declare your "visit".
More like well worth avoiding the Solent and surroundings!

I've checked about the daily rate; the reply is
Langstome Harbour said:
Thank you for your earlier enquiry about daily harbour dues.
For anchoring the 24 hours charge is from when you arrive in Langstone Harbour, so your overnight stay for one night would be £9.10.

Although I'm not used to paying for anchoring, £9 a night is probably par for the course in the area, isn't it?

I'm not sure how they'd go about enforcing a £10 penalty.

But for just £9 I'm happy to keep my AIS on and to cough up.

James_Calvert

Visit site
how's Salcombe doing in the ranking ? I looked at their price list and gave up.... it didn't seem to have an overnight visitor price
£2 per metre high season
£1-50 per metre April, May and Sept
£1 per metre to anchor, includes mooring off season.

Bowsprits are free!

£5 per vessel daytime visit.

Probably the cheapest way of enjoying the locality, average house price sales recently reported around £1.4M...

Good food at the Yacht Club too, but check opening hours.

Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
But as an outsider how do the prices relate to income and a pint of beer….in real terms is it cheaper or more expensive
I think this is the key question, from what I can see these prices have not kept pace with inflation at all so in theory are cheaper than ever

The Q

Visit site
Norfolk Broads Authority moorings, free. But you need to pay your broads tolls, Short visit toll
Max time 24 hours summer, 48 hours winter. But that is at a mooring area, move off to another mooring area, the clock starts again. Most broads authority moorings have electricity posts, you need a card for, you are unlikely to use more than £1 worth in 24 hours. Some parish moorings have free water, or a donate in a box for it.
Most parish Staithe moorings are also free for a maximum of 24 hours.

Seven Spades

Visit site
Langstone harbour is currently the most exepensive in the Solent I think. For 11m boat; to anchor overnight £44 harbour dues (£22 per day), for mooring buoy overnight £59, to stay at Southsea Marina 1 night £93.50 (2x £22 harbour dues, and 1x £49.50 marina fees).

EDIT looks like they have reduced their 2024 prices back to normal. The above is what they where planning to charge in 2024, before complaints started comming in.
I don't understand Langston harbour. Why is it more expensive than Chichester and so regulated. You are not allowed to anchor without permission they say it is because of ship movements but I suspect it is so that you have to pay the extortionate fees. I have so far refused to visit the place on principle.

Dutch01527

Visit site
Salcombe Harbour( not the Town) is cheap as stated above but is also very well run and accommodating. Good harbour crew, water taxi, showers etc. Same story at Dartmouth and Foyey. Absolute pleasure and total contrtast to the Solent in the most part.