"Lightweight" dinghy for 2 adults - pico alternative

slawosz

Visit site
Its been 3 years since I sailed my Laser and I am afraid I need to sell it. But as alternative I am thinking to buy 2 people dinghy that I could occasionally sail with my son. Budget is rather low - say 500-1000 as I won't be using the dinghy too often. Should I stick with Pico or there are some boats that could be affordable and similar size wise - lightweight etc. Ideally plastic but GRP is fine too.

B27

Visit site
Pico is one of the smaller dinghies, depending on how big you and your son are, there may be better options.
'Lightweight' is a vague and flexible term, a lot of ~13ft boats are 'light' when they are on a trolley, not so light if you need to physically lift one.

For under £1000, the key thing is to get something complete and in working order, if you need to renew sails, covers, trollies etc etc it costs. Also well known, respected models hold their value.

You can sail a laser two up.
You can also get a small rig for it so he could sail it alone.

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
You do not say how old your son is,
Check any boat is suitable for your combined weights, Second hand price wise best bet a GF GP14 nice and roomy dinghy and relatively safe , other possible Moth, enterprise, Solo, Lazer Pico, Topper buzz, Miracle
If you are in a RYA club suggest you try before you buy as what looks nice may not suit you sailing it

slawosz

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the answers. Do you really think that 2 people can fit on the Laser? Boom is very low compared to Pico and it's hard work. I understand giving a ride, sure, but not for regular sailing.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
I have never heard anyone call a Lark light.
But yes - good sailing for two people, not too challenging and chances of getting a reasonable one cheap.

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
Hi, thanks for the answers. Do you really think that 2 people can fit on the Laser? Boom is very low compared to Pico and it's hard work. I understand giving a ride, sure, but not for regular sailing.
I've sailed a laser 2 up on and off since I was 15 (I'm now 53).

It's a great boat for two and in a bit if a blow can be really good fun as it is a lot less work.

The Laser is an all round better boat than a Pico.

Mark-1

Visit site
I've sailed a laser 2 up on and off since I was 15 (I'm now 53).

It's a great boat for two and in a bit if a blow can be really good fun as it is a lot less work.

The Laser is an all round better boat than a Pico.

Picos are awesome robust kids boats. But not much more ròomy than a Laser and not a true two man boat, unless you're 10 years old.

I don't think there's enough difference to make it worth swapping Laser to Pico. (Any more than it would be worth swapping a Pico to Laser. Both are sub optimal two up, but tolerable.)

Pretty sure the Laser is lighter too.

(I've sailed Lasers all my life and regularly sail a Pico with my kids. Them on the helm, me sort of lying uncomfortably on the Centreboard under the kicking strap.)

onesea

Visit site
I have never heard anyone call a Lark light.
But yes - good sailing for two people, not too challenging and chances of getting a reasonable one cheap.
Hull weights:
Pico 65kg
Lark 95kg
GP 14 133kg
Laser 60kg

I could pull a Lark up a slip on my own not so certain about the GP. I think the OP should look around afew boat yards and think what he wants. Draw a list of requirements and look for what’s cheap in his area.

Lots of boats out there.
Personally I would avoid wood and look to a little performance.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Hull weights:
Pico 65kg
Lark 95kg
GP 14 133kg
Laser 60kg

I could pull a Lark up a slip on my own not so certain about the GP. I think the OP should look around afew boat yards and think what he wants. Draw a list of requirements and look for what’s cheap in his area.

Lots of boats out there.
Personally I would avoid wood and look to a little performance.
A Lark is similar weight, size and performance to an Enterprise.
I think the Lark looks much better though.

GP 14 is really heavy - but nowhere near as heavy as a Wayfarer.

B27

Visit site
The last edition of the Laser class rules I read, you could even race with two!
I've sailed one with two adults, I was 'instructing' and went forward of the mast in tacks.
We sailed from the mainland to the IoW and back.
It really depends what you want from it.
Do you want a 'wet boat' where you'll always want wetsuits, or more of a sit-in boat?

Everyone will recommend their pet classes, but a sound example of most things will do the job.
If you think there might be any racing in the mix, go with what similar people race would be my suggestion.

In another thread, the Vareo was mentioned. One on ApolloDuck for £1k.
The Topper Magno might also be worth a look, it meets your 'plastic' point, but might not be the lightest option?
These two classes have an asy spinnaker, which IMHO is a good move for keeping the crew keen.

Another Laser for your son, or maybe a Topper?

dancrane

Visit site
I had a Topper as a teenager, and was deeply ashamed of it because I wanted a Laser...the Topper was like a badge of immaturity and the bright colours were like a pre-school playpen. 😩

That was a long time ago, but now that the Laser hull can be fitted with a Topper-size 4.7 square-metre sail, and then the Radial rig as the youngsters grow into it, I can't see why any newcomer would prefer a Topper over the much cooler Laser. It may be old, but it still looks great.

And even as a total non-racer, I can see that the Olympic status of the Laser has to have an effect on kids' enthusiasm for the boat.

I believe it's technically permissible to have two crew on a standard Laser in at least some races, so while it's not a roomy cockpit, it definitely can be done.

ylop

Visit site
Do you really think that 2 people can fit on the Laser?
I think its a stupid idea! I've sailed a laser with 2 people on board - you can but that doesn't mean you should, its fine it you just want to muck about a couple of times a year but you might be better finding a club that has boats you can rent / borrow as rarely used boats just end up maintenance hassle. You haven't really explained much about why you are not sailing the laser, why you need a light boat, why you want to sail with your son and what age he is etc.

Mark-1

Visit site
its fine it you just want to muck about a couple of times a year

Mucking about a couple of times a year sounds like exactly what the OP wants to do.

Personally I think a second laser is the answer. Probably the cheapest, simplest way to get an additional adult on the water.

ylop

Visit site
Mucking about a couple of times a year sounds like exactly what the OP wants to do.
From his first post it sounds like that then he wrote:
"Do you really think that 2 people can fit on the Laser? Boom is very low compared to Pico and it's hard work. I understand giving a ride, sure, but not for regular sailing." (my bold)
Personally I think a second laser is the answer. Probably the cheapest, simplest way to get an additional adult on the water.
Is son an adult? I was kind of assuming that since no sailing for last 3 years son was maybe too young to sail at all and was now at the age where he might start...

dancrane

Visit site
If the lad is very junior, the 4.7m sail will tame the Laser.

Unless he's really young, like Optimist-age.

An Optimist cockpit is roomier than a Laser's cockpit. It might fit two crew. :unsure:

53689562755_9756c0d727_z.jpg

Last edited:

Mark-1

Visit site
From his first post it sounds like that then he wrote:
"Do you really think that 2 people can fit on the Laser? Boom is very low compared to Pico and it's hard work. I understand giving a ride, sure, but not for regular sailing." (my bold)

Is son an adult? I was kind of assuming that since no sailing for last 3 years son was maybe too young to sail at all and was now at the age where he might start...

Title says adult son.