Zeeland trip

roger303

Visit site
Hi all.

Am planning on a month away from my home marina (Tollesbury) during the summer.
Fancy exploring Zeeland, after a stop at Gravelines.

Any suggestions on places to visit/avoid/alternatives, from any of you guys who have done it?

Cheers.
Roger

Cantata

Visit site
Suggest rather than Gravelines, enter the EU at Nieuwpoort where the immigration office is at the marina. Or Oostende where it’s about a 10-min walk from the RNSYC marina.
Zeeland is a lovely area, can’t honestly say don’t go to any particular place. We usually make Middelberg our first stop in Holland.
Veere, the Veersmeer, Goes, Zeirikzee, the Grevelingenmeer and its islands, Wilhelmstadt, and all manner of little places in between, all good.

Last edited:

johnalison

Visit site
Zeeland is many East-coasters' first or early experience of abroad, and has the merit of giving the crew, often young, a sheltered week or two. I agree that Ostend would make a better starting-off point, as we first did in 1980. If the weather is right then Breskens or Flushing would be better, though I am out of touch with access to eurononsense. My general rule is that Holland, as I choose to call it, gets better the further north you go, and also that it makes for a more relaxing cruise to go as far as you want as early as possible and make your way home slowly. However, Middleberg is a nice place and a good place to get into the Dutch mood. The Versemeer can get a bit trippery but a night or three on one of the islands can be very relaxing. I don't know the Grevelingen well but have enjoyed a few nights there. The Haringvliet is more interesting to my eyes and there are several interesting places there. Willemstad has character, and the older marina is where we have always stayed. Not often visited, Middleharnis has great charm and is comparable to the larger Goes mentioned above, It is yonks since we went to Hellevoetsluis, but we used to enjoy going there.

When negotiating Zeeland there are numerous bridges and locks, so it makes sense to get all the information about opening times to hand. There is something of an art in getting through these potential obstructions without being trampled on by the locals, but you'll learn.

DanTribe

Visit site
What are your preferences? Fleshpots, Sheltered anchorages, peaceful secluded [free] jetties, city centre marinas, modern all facilities marinas. Holland has all these in close proximity.
If you enter at Vlissingen, Middelburg is worth a visit, for a city centre stopover. I like the north west end of Veeresemeer, anchor or find a free jetty, walk to the sea beach and bars [pavilions]. There are lots of free mooring places further west. I find the west end of Veersemeer too crowded and a bit smelly but handy for supplies. Goes is a lovely city but time consuming as you have to chug along the canal and back.
Grevelingen has marinas and secluded anchorages and small villages. If you have time Dordrecht is magic but requires good boat handling skills.
The best bit is discovering hidden gems.

DanTribe

Visit site
Suggest rather than Gravelines, enter the EU at Nieuwpoort where the immigration office is at the marina. Or Oostende where it’s about a 10-min walk from the RNSYC marina.
Zeeland is a lovely area, can’t honestly say don’t go to any particular place. We usually make Middelberg our first stop in Holland.
Veere, the Veersmeer, Goes, Zeirikzee, the Grevelingenmeer and its islands, Wilhelmstadt, and all manner of little places in between, all good.
Has Nieuwpoort changed recently?
In 2022 we had a heck of a job checking in. we were supposed to do it on line but couldn't make the app work. The Air Force Yacht club said don't bother. The VVW marina couldn't do it either. We went to the police office and the policewoman wouldn't do it and called the sergeant who reluctantly made a phone call and stamped our passports.
We persisted because a crew member was flying home and what would have happened at the airport if she wasn't officially in the country.
On our way home there was a poster on the police office door, in Flemish, saying non Schengen visitors, please don't bother us.

DanTribe

Visit site
Has Nieuwpoort changed recently?
In 2022 we had a heck of a job checking in. we were supposed to do it on line but couldn't make the app work. The Air Force Yacht club said don't bother. The VVW marina couldn't do it either. We went to the police office and the policewoman wouldn't do it and called the sergeant who reluctantly made a phone call and stamped our passports.
We persisted because a crew member was flying home and what would have happened at the airport if she wasn't officially in the country.
On our way home there was a poster on the police office door, in Flemish, saying non Schengen visitors, please don't bother us.

roger303

Visit site
Thanks for responding ... info gratefully noted.

roger303

Visit site
Zeeland is many East-coasters' first or early experience of abroad, and has the merit of giving the crew, often young, a sheltered week or two. I agree that Ostend would make a better starting-off point, as we first did in 1980. If the weather is right then Breskens or Flushing would be better, though I am out of touch with access to eurononsense. My general rule is that Holland, as I choose to call it, gets better the further north you go, and also that it makes for a more relaxing cruise to go as far as you want as early as possible and make your way home slowly. However, Middleberg is a nice place and a good place to get into the Dutch mood. The Versemeer can get a bit trippery but a night or three on one of the islands can be very relaxing. I don't know the Grevelingen well but have enjoyed a few nights there. The Haringvliet is more interesting to my eyes and there are several interesting places there. Willemstad has character, and the older marina is where we have always stayed. Not often visited, Middleharnis has great charm and is comparable to the larger Goes mentioned above, It is yonks since we went to Hellevoetsluis, but we used to enjoy going there.

When negotiating Zeeland there are numerous bridges and locks, so it makes sense to get all the information about opening times to hand. There is something of an art in getting through these potential obstructions without being trampled on by the locals, but you'll learn.
Many thanks for the comprehensive response. Much appreciated. Info duly logged.

roger303

Visit site
What are your preferences? Fleshpots, Sheltered anchorages, peaceful secluded [free] jetties, city centre marinas, modern all facilities marinas. Holland has all these in close proximity.
If you enter at Vlissingen, Middelburg is worth a visit, for a city centre stopover. I like the north west end of Veeresemeer, anchor or find a free jetty, walk to the sea beach and bars [pavilions]. There are lots of free mooring places further west. I find the west end of Veersemeer too crowded and a bit smelly but handy for supplies. Goes is a lovely city but time consuming as you have to chug along the canal and back.
Grevelingen has marinas and secluded anchorages and small villages. If you have time Dordrecht is magic but requires good boat handling skills.
The best bit is discovering hidden gems.
Thanks Dan. Much appreciated.

MK101

Visit site
As others have said, Zeeland is lovely. There's lots of variety and good sailing. For tidal waters, the Dutch tidal atlas HP33 is absolutely brilliant. Detailed tide times for the whole country, and even better, really clear tidal stream diagrams for the key areas. It is now available for free as a digital application (NLTides - HP33D (English)) but I will also be buying a paper copy again this year. You should be able to find it reasonably easily once here... not sure if you can get in in UK.

For info on bridges and locks, including closures/problems etc then you can check www.vaarweginformatie.nl. Click on the English translation button, top left, and then click waterways and objects, and it will take you to an interactive map. You can check each specific bridge etc that you're interested in. Check all the various notifications - sometimes closures etc are a bit hidden away. EuRIS - Actual Notices to Skippers on map is also useful but gives ONLY notices out of the ordinary, so you won't find regular openings etc there.

For charts, the ANWB series is very useful. You may need quite a few of them to cover the whole of where you might go but they're hard wearing, and intuitive to read. If you prefer digital, then Waterkaart Live | App met Nederlandse waterkaarten is worthwhile but can be rather cluttered if you're trying to find specific info. The Imray book 'Inland waterways of the Netherlands' is still useful.

My destination tip: Zierikzee on the Oosterschelde is very nice. It can get very crowded, but that's true of everywhere... We managed to get a berth at the sailing club that's before the town centre free-for-all, simply by ringing them up. And if you're planning a loop, and perhaps are up for some industrial scenery, then you could try and get to Doordrecht (you're now in Zuid Holland not Zeeland). Or simply head from the Haringvliet up the Spui (tidal so be aware) and head out via the Maas. Maassluis is a great place to stay the night and then head down past Hoek van Holland/Europoort.

Enjoy the planning!

MK101

Visit site
Do you still have to carry vol 1 & 2 of the ANWB handbook?
I believe so, yes. I think it's possible to find it digitally but I confess I'm not sure how. I have a hard copy - which will need replacing to keep it up to date. (I think it's only the first volume that's compulsory actually.)

Last edited:

roger303

Visit site
The best bit is

As others have said, Zeeland is lovely. There's lots of variety and good sailing. For tidal waters, the Dutch tidal atlas HP33 is absolutely brilliant. Detailed tide times for the whole country, and even better, really clear tidal stream diagrams for the key areas. It is now available for free as a digital application (NLTides - HP33D (English)) but I will also be buying a paper copy again this year. You should be able to find it reasonably easily once here... not sure if you can get in in UK.

For info on bridges and locks, including closures/problems etc then you can check www.vaarweginformatie.nl. Click on the English translation button, top left, and then click waterways and objects, and it will take you to an interactive map. You can check each specific bridge etc that you're interested in. Check all the various notifications - sometimes closures etc are a bit hidden away. EuRIS - Actual Notices to Skippers on map is also useful but gives ONLY notices out of the ordinary, so you won't find regular openings etc there.

For charts, the ANWB series is very useful. You may need quite a few of them to cover the whole of where you might go but they're hard wearing, and intuitive to read. If you prefer digital, then Waterkaart Live | App met Nederlandse waterkaarten is worthwhile but can be rather cluttered if you're trying to find specific info. The Imray book 'Inland waterways of the Netherlands' is still useful.

My destination tip: Zierikzee on the Oosterschelde is very nice. It can get very crowded, but that's true of everywhere... We managed to get a berth at the sailing club that's before the town centre free-for-all, simply by ringing them up. And if you're planning a loop, and perhaps are up for some industrial scenery, then you could try and get to Doordrecht (you're now in Zuid Holland not Zeeland). Or simply head from the Haringvliet up the Spui (tidal so be aware) and head out via the Maas. Maassluis is a great place to stay the night and then head down past Hoek van Holland/Europoort.

Enjoy the planning!
Very many thanks for your kind response. A lot of valuable info to consider during my planning. Best. Roger

Pye_End

Visit site
I believe so, yes. I think it's possible to find it digitally but I confess I'm not sure how. I have a hard copy - which will need replacing to keep it up to date. (I think it's only the first volume that's compulsory actually.)
Netherlands | boating abroad | RYA

Binnenvaartpolitiereglement 2024 - Waterkaart Live

This looks interesting: https://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0012002/2021-01-01#Bijlage4 Seems to have a list of places in the Netherlands you can check in, and you have to walk to do it, or enter then and there (if I have read it right). No idea how the change to biometric affects this.

Last edited:

PeterWright

Visit site

Enjoy the planning!
Thank you MK101, for that informative post. We are planning this August another visit to Zeeland with the East Coast Group of the Moody Owners' Association, with help from the Belgium, Netherlands and Deutschland group of our Association. Your info here will be added yo the fast accumulating advice we are assembling. My first visit to the Netherlands was in a @6 ft. Stella in the late 1960 's and my most recent in 2016, but that focussed on the Ijsellmeer, with just a rushed passage back to Harwich, via the Stand Maast Route and Vlissingen, so we're looking forward to some time in the south Netherlands.

Peter.

westhinder

Visit site
Plenty of good advice already. Just a couple of suggestions for places to visit which are a bit off the beaten track:
on the Oosterschelde try Burghsluis in the northwest corner, a peaceful little harbour, or Sint Annaland in the beautiful Krabbenkreek. A visit to Neeltje Jans will provide insight into the great flood disaster of 1953 and the subsequent Delta Works to make the region safe.
Going into the Volkerak, there is the delightful little harbour of Oude Tonghe and on the opposite bank the rural gem of the Steenbergse Vliet.
And, if you’re spending a moth in the area, why not sail up the Westerschelde and visit Antwerp? The river is beautiful, you get to see lots of big ships up close and Antwerp has so much to offer the visitor.

bluerm166

Visit site
The ANWB Wateratlas (Zeeland Volume) is pretty handy for basic inland navigation.Perhaps borrowing an old one would be a good start to planning.Add the ANWB 'Wateralmanak' Vol 2 for comprehensive data on bridges /marinas etc. It is complusory to carry ANWB Wateralmanak Vol 1 Navigation Regulations but you can carry the free digital version (only in dutch anyway).
If you are an OPEN CPN user/enthusiast you can download and deploy for free this seasons ENC charts for the inland waterways of the Netherlands ( particularly the Zeeland file) via the Chart Sources section of OPENCPN.
Chart Sources

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
Plenty of good advice already. Just a couple of suggestions for places to visit which are a bit off the beaten track:
on the Oosterschelde try Burghsluis in the northwest corner, a peaceful little harbour, or Sint Annaland in the beautiful Krabbenkreek. A visit to Neeltje Jans will provide insight into the great flood disaster of 1953 and the subsequent Delta Works to make the region safe.
Going into the Volkerak, there is the delightful little harbour of Oude Tonghe and on the opposite bank the rural gem of the Steenbergse Vliet.
And, if you’re spending a moth in the area, why not sail up the Westerschelde and visit Antwerp? The river is beautiful, you get to see lots of big ships up close and Antwerp has so much to offer the visitor.
Great info - thanks. Any restrictions on boat size. Is 12-13m and no bow thruster likely to be a problem in the places you mentioned?

johnalison

Visit site
I agree about Antwerp. We only went there once but enjoyed it a lot. The food was better than in Holland too.

People have mentioned Dordrecht, which is accessible in one day from the Haringvliet. I think it would make an interesting excursion, though I always find the town’s aspect a bit dark compared to other places. There is a good museum at the back of the town. Of the two obvious places to stop we found the small marina in the Maartensgat the more congenial, and if you are lucky you might get a concert from what I believe is the largest carillon in the adjacent church.