Zinc Anode on Bukh 20

Saltram31

Visit site
I am having a problem removing the anode on the motor.I do not want to use to much force in fear of damaging the bronze head as it is already slightly deformed.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

PeterGibbs

Visit site
Awkward isn't it? But a suitable box spanner should get it out -maybe it hasn't been checked for some time? Use PTFE tape on the thread to make it easier next time.

If the nut edges are crumbling, get some alu foil in between the spanner and nut to increase the purchase.

PWG

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I bought a ring spanner specifically to get it out, after chewing it up with an adjustable. State of the nut afterward in pic below.

One tip. Unscrewing the hex nut may also screw the anode off the back of the nut, leaving it in situ. A pair of thin nose moles on the anode shaft will let you pull that out.

nut.jpg

------
Edit - needless to say, a new nut went back in.

neil_s

Visit site
And if you can't wriggle the old anode out, you could just push it in - there is plenty of room in the cooling gallery and the old anode will just lie at the bottom and gently corrode away.

Neil

Poignard

Visit site
I have a spanner cut in half for this job.

Having a lathe, I reduce the diameter of new anodes by a couple of miilimetres and don't have any trouble geting them out.

I also occassionally run a tap through the hole to clean the thread. I think the size is 3/8" BSP.

<u>Disclaimer</u>

To forestall those who bleat about people they assume [often wrongly] to be unqualified to offer advice, this is not advice but merely a statement of something I do that "works for me". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Saltram31

Visit site
Thanks for the help. Got it now. Used the ali foil tip which gripped the head well enough for me to use a mallet to get movement started. There was no zinc left.

Saltram31

Visit site
Don't know. Only found a minute piece attached to the screw
It apparently was last changed about a year ago ,but the boat was used in fresh water for about 6 months after that.

rhumlady

Visit site
I find they are gone in less than 12 months but they do erode from the nut out and the end lump tends to drop off on occasions. Found 4 or 5 when cleaning out the crud a few years ago.