Zakinthos harbour

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Zakinthos harbours some facts .
Pass posting here and on other sailing forum plus people we meet seen to be confused on who to pay and what to do. So here some facts .
1 the guys with SYC are just agents and you don't have to use them .
2 if you let them Take you lines they can and will change you 10 Euros for helping you to moor up
3. You don't have to pay them for berthing fees , you can pay at the harbour office Where the berthing fees are cheaper .
4. Power is changed at €5 a day and water €5 from SYC , once again it cheaper to buy it from the harbour office .
5. They have no say where you can moor although they will try and direct you to a space they want you to use .
6. It seem if you head for the road side Quay they won't bother you .
7. I have to say they do not pressure in any way to use their services but they do it in such a way that would make anyone who don't know the harbour feel that the way it works in Zakinthos.

This Info may be a bit too late for many this year but well worth remembering come a new season , the guys was a bit shock when we step off the boat pass them and did our own ropes , I subspect for many Med mooring can be a bit of an hand full and it's very tempting to hand your rope over to an helpful hand this is why many of us seeing a boat arriving are quick to help out and I do understand these guys have to make a living but considering they are charging over the top only on berthing but also so on power and water one would think they wouldn't change the rope handing fee .
The Ball in your court, you can walk some of the fat your body has and at the same time save the cost of an evening meal or pay the guys .

TonyMS

www.montgomery-smith.org
Last time we went there, they shooed us away from the NE wall and we tied up alongside the road. Then a rather charming guy came for a 15 euro mooring fee. I'm ashamed to say we paid up! They offered free WiFi - pity it didn't work.

Vic, I assume you went to the port office. Where is it, and what did they charge?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Last time we went there, they shooed us away from the NE wall and we tied up alongside the road. Then a rather charming guy came for a 15 euro mooring fee. I'm ashamed to say we paid up! They offered free WiFi - pity it didn't work.

Vic, I assume you went to the port office. Where is it, and what did they charge?
Hi Tony
the port office is along he road side as if your going to where they sell the fish ,
It's not that far to walk at all so not sure why people keep on about it save them walking, so that why they deal it's the agent , a little walk will do some a world of good .
Cost ,
we was there for some days as Chrissy had to fly back for her daughter PHD so we did a deal , even with out the deal in your case for your cat it would had been much less then what you paid .
I think this rope bussiness is out of order .
It also seen to be that they are charging what ever they can get , one guy just said to them , it's still €10 for a 10 mts boat and they charge him €10 plus the mooring charge another 10 mts boat got charge €15 .
A 12 mts yacht got charge € 30 and another € 25 .
€5 a day for power is just outrageous .
Oh by the way the wifi Is free anyway :) but as you say slow plus some site Are blocked .

Last edited:

AndrewB

Visit site
The way some people pay up it's just loose change and why bother with walking all that way round to the harbour office? (Though going by dinghy is quicker).

Have they left up all the signs about not being obliged to use them? Having tried and failed to take your lines, the guys are generally good-natured about it, though they will still try lying that you are obliged to pay for water and electricity through them.

Last edited:

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Thanks Vic, very useful information. We avoided the place this year because a friend warned us it was expensive. Not much of a problem as we didn't fancy it much and it would have been a detour anyway.

My friend said he'd been charged 10 euro for lines and then some odd amount per night (I think it was about 15 euro per day). He also said water and power were expensive and they wanted 10 euro per day. Your information confirms his report but explains what's happening. I've been wary about handing lines to guys on shore this year.

A guy in Porto Heli seemed a bit miffed when 2 of us took lines for boat coming in next to us. He then forced the guy to pull his lines over to one side. This meant his anchor wasn't straight and gap was now on his stbd side. Main impact was to block our dinghy in behind our friends boat. We were just leaving anyway and he was disappointed to see that we could just squeeze around the next boat's stern. I was told later that the guy was a "helper" and money went back to port authority by an undisclosed route (didn't believe that one).