YBW Fleet location - Google Earth

fireball

Visit site
It's VERY rough and ready - but seems to work .... for heavens sake don't take this as an example of good coding cos it ain't!! But then what do you expect in 5 minutes ....

On the YBW Rank page there is now a link to a Google Earth file - this should be updated every 300 seconds (5 minutes to the rest of us!) - yup - my meta refresh seems to work!!

Dipper

Visit site
Can you update it to 5 o'clock this morning? I was doing so well in 28th place. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dipper

Visit site
Excellent. Thank you. It saves me having to search for the others by hovering the cursor over all the boats.

fireball

Visit site
It's a hack of a script again ....

I'm a bit limited in what I can do as I don't have the same access to the source data that they have ....

so I simply put all our names into a single string, then go through the KML file - check where it has a name tag - extract the name, check it exists in our competitors file then output the content for the next 30 lines ....

Getting the info is quite simple - it is collating the info to start with (ie allowing for users to administer their own groups) that would take the time to code....

but - by all means - point them at these threads and show them what we've done ... hopefully they won't be too upset - I think the bandwidth hit will be minimal .....

Dipper

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
so I simply put all our names into a single string, then go through the KML file - check where it has a name tag - extract the name, check it exists in our competitors file then output the content for the next 30 lines

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried putting this into Babelfish but it couldn't translate it. Oh well. It sounds too technical for me and I've already learned one useful new thing today and that's quite enough.

fireball

Visit site
Don't worry about it Dipper .... actually it isn't complicated once it is shown to you - I got my Dad writing a bit of ASP code and although he is technically minded he's never been a programer ...

BrendanS

Visit site
save the file to your computer, then go to 'file' on the top left of the menu bar, and open the file from where you have saved it.

PS you'll need to drag the file from Temporary places, to Places, to have it automatically show when you open GE in future.

Dipper

Visit site
When I first used it, it worked, then later it didn't. Now it works just by clicking the link again and confirming that I want to open the program with Google Earth.

Question for Fireball: has Mrs F gone into Stealth Mode? She doesn't show up. Very sneaky. In the real race she can only do this for 12 hours. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif