Yanmar starter keys

stephen_h

Visit site
Have some problems with our Yanmar starter keys.

Port side the buzzer does not work but everything else is fine.
Is the fix to replace the buzzer or could it be something to do with the oil pressure switch?

Starboard side buzzer works but dodgy connection when key is turned. Needs wiggling around to
get the buzzer and lights to work. Can this be removed and contacts cleaned?

Double trouble :(

scottie

Visit site
Presume you are referring to key switches
Easy to check if buzzers are working but from what you are saying assuming wiring ok then switches which are a bit ouch on the pocket
But at least you will have spare keys if you are talking about the smaller engine panel

langstonelayabout

Visit site
I'm sure some have had problems with the wiring looms on older installations. Over time/years the vibration can work harden and crack the wire cores, leading to faults like this.

I had this on a previous 1GM10 and replaced the complete panel and loom and, funnily enough, it fixed the problem!

VicS

Visit site
Have some problems with our Yanmar starter keys.

Port side the buzzer does not work but everything else is fine.
Is the fix to replace the buzzer or could it be something to do with the oil pressure switch?

Starboard side buzzer works but dodgy connection when key is turned. Needs wiggling around to
get the buzzer and lights to work. Can this be removed and contacts cleaned?

Double trouble :(

The symptoms you describe for starboard side suggest a dodgy key switch. Check the connections to the switch and if you can spray its innards try it but in all probability it's "sealed" and you will have to replace the switch.
Look at Furneaux Riddall for replacement switches at sensible prices https://www.furneauxriddall.com/acatalog/Ignition_Switches.html

The port side might be the same problem but sounds more likely to be a defective buzzer , defective sensor or a bad connection somewhere. Diagnose the problem by systematic testing. Dont just replace parts willy nilly or you could spend a fortune replacing parts that don't need replacing, especially if you buy Yanmar parts, .

Does the buzzer sound when high temperature is indicated or when saildrive alarm is activated? ......... Dont know I guess.

You have a pair if 3GM30s ?

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
My Beta buzzer failed in early life. If it's any help, it's a Kingstate-KPEG-251, £6 off Ebay.

The Yanmar one may have 4 wires , and incorporate the diode network allowing direct connection to all the warning light circuits.

A simple buzzer could be used if a separate diode network was made for it.

stephen_h

Visit site
The symptoms you describe for starboard side suggest a dodgy key switch. Check the connections to the switch and if you can spray its innards try it but in all probability it's "sealed" and you will have to replace the switch.
Look at Furneaux Riddall for replacement switches at sensible prices https://www.furneauxriddall.com/acatalog/Ignition_Switches.html

The port side might be the same problem but sounds more likely to be a defective buzzer , defective sensor or a bad connection somewhere. Diagnose the problem by systematic testing. Dont just replace parts willy nilly or you could spend a fortune replacing parts that don't need replacing, especially if you buy Yanmar parts, .

Does the buzzer sound when high temperature is indicated or when saildrive alarm is activated? ......... Dont know I guess.

You have a pair if 3GM30s ?

Yes I do have the 3GM30's and no idea if the buzzer sounds when high temperature is indicated or when saildrive alarm is activated, which I am glad about! It used to work.
The Furneaux Riddall switches look like a better price than Yanmar but will try contact cleaner first.