Yanmar Saildrive

Dave_Rolfe

Visit site
I have been told by a friend that I should be tightening up the propellor nut on my Yanmar SD20 saildrive with a torque wrench and not just 'until it feels about right' as it is easy to strip the thread apparently.

I have looked through my Operation manual for the saildrive but have been unable to find a torque specification anywhere.

Does anyone know the torque setting that I should use to tighten the large nut on the saildrive stub shaft that holds on the propellor?

BlueChip

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have been told by a friend that I should be tightening up the propellor nut on my Yanmar SD20 saildrive with a torque wrench and not just 'until it feels about right' as it is easy to strip the thread apparently.

I have looked through my Operation manual for the saildrive but have been unable to find a torque specification anywhere.

Does anyone know the torque setting that I should use to tighten the large nut on the saildrive stub shaft that holds on the propellor?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont there is any special technique for tightening it, In 15 years with Yanmar saildrives I have only ever done it up firmly with a decent ratchet socket set, there is an inner locking bolt that stops the nut from coming undone. I always use loktite on the locking bolt to be 100% sure ity wont come undone

AllanG

Visit site
I have a Yanmar SD20 saildrive, and the propeller nut torque is 60-70 Nm, and for the 'locking' Allen bolt it's 11-15 Nm.

I use a torque wrench to tighten the nut, but just use 'hand-tight' for the Allen bolt.

I hope this helps.

Allan