Yanmar buzzer replacement

stephen_h

Visit site
I need to replace the buzzer on the Yanmar (3GMF) control panel, Type B.

Can anyone advise where I can get one for a sensible price?

I have seen Maplins etc mentioned before but are they a like for like replacement since
this one has multiple functions/warnings?

pvb

Visit site
There are 2 versions of the Type B panel, and the buzzers have different part numbers. The earlier version uses buzzer 104271-91351 which seems to be about £200; the later version uses buzzer 104271-91352, which seems to be about £150. The buzzers have a 5-pin plug connection and incorporate various diodes. You could I suppose find a plain buzzer which fits, then modify the wiring and add your own diodes so that it all works properly, but I'd imagine it's a lot of messing about. Might be easier to bite the bullet and get a Yanmar replacement.

tjbrace

Visit site
I replaced the buzzer part with a 12volt part from Maplin. , about £1 I think. I sawed the enclosure to get access and glued it together after replacing the buzzer. If there were diodes in the circuitry I didn’t disturb them, just 2 wires to the buzzer. It’s been working fine for the last 12 years ( now it will go wrong). I think Maplin are gone but should be available on the www.

pvb

Visit site
I replaced the buzzer part with a 12volt part from Maplin. , about £1 I think. I sawed the enclosure to get access and glued it together after replacing the buzzer. If there were diodes in the circuitry I didn’t disturb them, just 2 wires to the buzzer. It’s been working fine for the last 12 years ( now it will go wrong). I think Maplin are gone but should be available on the www.

Do you have a Type B panel? The buzzer in the Type B panel has the diode circuitry incorporated within the buzzer housing, with a 5-pin connector to the loom.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
It should be easy enough to fit a standard buzzer. The 5 pin plug will have a +12v pin, plus a connection to various sensors, charge warning, low oil pressure, high engine temp. I think (from memory) that the type B panel only has four warning lamps and one of those is for the glow plugs, so it could be that the buzzer only uses 4 of the 5 pins, easy enough to check on the wiring schematic.

All that should be needed is to identify the +12v connection and connect that to the buzzer +12v, then, from the buzzer -12v, make a connection to the sensor connection on each of the warning lamps, with a diode between the -12v terminal and each lamp. The whole job will need less than £5 of components.

As the buzzer isn't working it also wouldn't do any harm to carefully cut it open and see what's inside, it may be possible to squeeze a cheap Ebay buzzer in there.

By chance, i have to replace one of these panels next week. I'll take a look at it and see what sort of job i think it might be. Will post back here when i've done it.

tjbrace

Visit site
Just checked my buzzer enclosure looks like 4 wires going in so guess it does have the diodes in there. It was very easy to fix once you pluck up courage to open the enclosure.

stephen_h

Visit site
Just checked my buzzer enclosure looks like 4 wires going in so guess it does have the diodes in there. It was very easy to fix once you pluck up courage to open the enclosure.

I will open mine to see if it is just the buzzer.

How did you open yours?

stephen_h

Visit site
Was able to open the buzzer without too much damage!!
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg

As you can see there is a Piezo buzzer inside with 3 leads.

Can anyone advise where I might get one of these with 3 leads?
Seen plenty with 2 leads.

Thanks, Steve

tjbrace

Visit site
Well done. When I fixed mine I bought 2 buzzers just in case. The unfitted one still works, I just tested it, and you are welcome to it. It is only 2 wire but I’m sure you can suss out which wires to connect to make the noise. It is part RS 249 794 ,3 - 16 volts.
PM a postal address and I will send it.
T.