Yanmar 1GM leaking fuel - is pipe attached correctly?

LiftyK

Visit site
While checking the oil on my Yanmar 1GM10, I noticed a lot of white power on the engine where the fuel comes in. I brushed the powder away and am now wondering where to investigate first. The photo shows the site before I brushed away the powder. I’ve not changed anything in this area in a good while.

One thing that does seem odd is that the clearish fuel pipe on the right, on the exit side of the pump, is not secured with a clip as far as I can see. Is this normal please?

I tried to reach the end-on nut (banjo bolt” perhaps?) at the far side but will have to move a load of stuff and approach the engine from the rear. That’s my next task.

Thanks for all helpful suggestions. IMG_3771.jpeg

LiftyK

Visit site
As I dig in further I see a t piece in the cooling water inlet pipe sits right above the offending area. I’m now thinking I have a salt water leak above the pump. Diesel wouldn’t dry out to leave a white powder residue. That will be salt. I’m on the case.

Reactions: vas

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, dripping seawater. Common on 1GMs. Take it all apart and clean it up plus of course deal with the coolant pipe. You will probably find that and the T piece into the blog partially blocked. The hose is normal. The fitting is crimped onto the hose and does not need a clip. Might be worth replacing that. You can get one made up by your local Hydraulics shop such as Hyphose or Pirtek.

LiftyK

Visit site
Thank you both. I will disassemble the T piece and have a good look inside and cleanse if necessary. Great advice Tranona.

Rotrax - also excellent advice. That said, I now have sintered rust-proof pipes which are additionally painted for almost bombproof protection against rusting through. The pipes came from eBay at a lower price than the regular Yanmar pipes. All this happened after the previous pipes did indeed shed all the engine oil after a water pump leak took longer than expected to repair. Fortunately, and much to my surprise, I managed to replace the pipes and get going again very quickly.