Yank Tanks

BarryH

Visit site
I've been looking at a Formula. A modest one 272LS I think the model designation is. Seem to get a lot of boat for your money, along with a lot of fake burr walnut veneer! All that aside it seems to be a fairly seaworthy boat. Only downside is the twin 7.4litre big blocks! Now I know that its not too frugal on the go juice, but what sort of top end do you think this thing will give. I,m not overly worried about the running costs. I just shut my eyes and bite the bullet when it comes to buying the fuel!!! So for around £19500 and and '89 boat is it ott or the bargain of the century!!

OK, to hell with it. Unbolt it and we'll use it as an anchor!

BarryH

Visit site
Mmm, looked at a few Sea Rays, they seem nice boats. Good build quality etc, but I wanting something a bit spritely. Breakfast in Poole, lunch in Cherbourg, that sort of thing. Been on a couple of Formula's, a friend of mine has a 24 foot version. It only has the single negine though and seems a tad under powered. I would like a deisel powered one, but haven't got the sort of money needed even if I could find one!!

Col

Visit site
Mate had a 292ls (2x7.4) 70 mph or 2mpg cruising. Excellent boat.
ps. he cut a hole for depth sounder, hull was at least 18mm thick.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

BarryH

Visit site
The surveyer that I spoke to said they were built like the perverbial brick outbuilding. He should have looked at it by now, so I'll wait for his report. Apparently the yanks love putting in engines that are a tad on the large side for their boats. Still 2mpg can be tollerated at 70mph.

The only things that are a bit worrying, is on one side of the bow, the gel coat looks very ripply and the other is the bubbling around the straight thru transom exhausts. I'll let the surveyer do all the digging and poking tho. Still i'll be sad to see the Tremlett go if the thing turns out to be OK.

pistonbroke

Visit site
£19,500 for a 13 year old boat, Hmm, you need to carefully consider what you are buying. I assume the motors are Mercruisers, with Bravo drives.

By now they will be well corroded, and if they are original will be in need of manifolds and risers, if they are magnums, might need inlet manifolds as well.

Could be in for a bill of several thousand pounds, maybe more. As for fuel, shutting your eyes and biting the bullet is ok until the novelty wears off. That usually takes around two tankfulls.

Anchoring up in Studland Bay is quite economical, but your buying an Offshore Powerboat, and so get ready for a couple of hundred pounds for a trip to the Isle of Wight. And don't expect your mates to chip in, they only do that the once.

If you wan't to find out performance specs, have a look on the Hotboat website, they list all their old boat tests. www.hotboat.net

BarryH

Visit site
Umm, I realise that the running cost are gonna take a massive hike. One of the reasons that we're looking at an off shore power boat is because thats where its gonna get used. I doubt very much if its going to be flat out all day. As with all things engine powered, the harder you push'em the more its going to cost!

Its reputidly had lots of major work done on the engines, but as I said I'll wait for the survey to hit my doormat before I make the final decision. I do like the look of the older Formula's tho. Bit of a muscle boat, yes! Sensible family boat purchase......er......if I was sensible, I would'nt buy a boat at all!! It just seems a hellava lot of boat for the money. Sevice records, full details of all of the 2 owners, original bill of sale and all the other recipts for this and that.

Col

Visit site
Barry, have a look in Dolphin haven , there is a formula292ls (my mates old one) in there most weekends called "Distant rumble" The guy who owns it is called Shaun, have a word, its for sale. About £1400 would buy it.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

BarryH

Visit site
£1400! you mean £14000 surely. I,ve seen Distant Rumble on quiet a few occasions. Thats a later one though from what I can make out, So why is it going so cheap. Always looked at them since i went on a mates one. If I have half as much confidence it it as I do the Tremlett, I'll be happy with it. Thats if the survey comes back OK that is.

Col

Visit site
Yes, £14K, I think it's a '90 model, I can get Shauns Tel no if req'd

BarryH

Visit site
The survey hit the doormat this morning. I wasn't in a hurry to open it, it looked like a Self assesment tpe on envelope. Anyhow, tore it open and was greeted with the words, " Dear Bazza,(you dont think I'm gonna use my real name do you) Following our inspection of this craft we find serious fault it structutre of the hull"
Nuts, me thinks, The craft seems to have sustained heavy impact on the starboard side, with damage running from the bow back to the mid sections". It goes on to say that there are other minor areas of damage due to "light" impacts through "normal use"

The last para is the one that really grabbed my attention, "Apart from the faults that have been highlighted, the craft has generally been cared for". Yeah right! banged about so badly that the structure of the hull has been compromised., "To correct the faults and bring the craft upto a safe and sevicable condition a considerable amount of remedial work is required. In my opinion you should discount this craft in favour of something else"!!!!

Its just cost me £275 to find out that the speed machine of my dreams is a heap of rubbish! Better than buying the thing tho and wasting 20K. They do say that the engines and "machinery" are in very good condition for the age and type!

The day has started on a downer! Surely it can only get better!!!!!!!!!!