yamaha age guide

nyx2k

Visit site
could anyone please point me in the direction of a guide to tell the age of a yamaha outboard. someone pointed me to it before but i forgot to bookmark it.

kind regards nick

nyx2k

Visit site
my serial no. 9.9cl 319597 which according to the site is a 1991 if the c is the letter year code but the dealer told me it was a 1981.

Lakesailor

Visit site
It seems that 9.9cl Yamahas were built 1978-1982 They apparently have a Jet prop (?).
this ad has one http://www.yachtonline.info/boat/de/detail.htm?Nummer=1114

Are you sure you have the correct character for the date. It mentions "The Model Year is indicated by a lower case letter in the black field in the lower left or right corner of the motorplate" and not as part of the model or serial number.

nyx2k

Visit site
The Model Year is indicated by a lower case letter in the black field in the lower left or right corner of the motorplate

i cant see any other letters so i'll have to rely on what the dealer in rainham said. the square filter bolted to the side of the carb which has gauze on both sides has decided to leak today but i have had to send a few pics of it to the dealer has he didnt know what it was. it seems to allow fuel to pass one way through it but wont let it return.

VicS

Visit site
This is the explanaion of the Yamaha model codes

It is possible that the clamp bracket complete with model number has been swapped with another engine. Otherwise it looks like it is a 1991

VicS

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've got that and the number nyx2k is quoting is nothing like that.
The only similarities I can find is...........

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it is because only relevant bits of that code are in the number on the engine. In this case they are 9.9 (the HP), c (the year number) and l (for long shaft) all the other sections of the code do not apply so do not appear.

The table I linked to in my first reply is the same as the one on the Marinshoppen site and that fact is acknowledged!