Yamaha 9.9HP Service Cost and Transport

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Labour £160 Parts £ 24.03 Vat Total £220 Approx Reasonable or not? I think it was very high.

We had bought the engine new (Pre-registered in 2016) in 2017 and had one prior service done by them.

N.W. canal based dealer not South Coast.

I will say A). They fitted us in. B). I did not ask the price before hand. The annual service including MOT on my 11 year old 4x4 is not much more. I would do it myself but the engine is still under warranty. Labour £160 parts £24.03 (engine & gear box oil and spark plug) I am not too bothered about the parts but the labour seemed very high given that it was delivered to them and off the boat.

They said I had stowed the engine on the wrong side for transport and that fuel had leaked from the carb. I am fairly sure I would have run engine dry (External Tank) at the end of the season so only the fuel in the float chamber. My wife said they were working on it for quite a long time but guessing labour at £40 per hour, 4 Hours?

Given the manual picture which I think shows transit position options would you stow the engine gear lever down?
If I recall correctly this puts dip stick on the upper side but dealer says its on the same side as the gear lever, I have not had time to check.

Outboard%20Manual%20Page_zpsxlfuvacn.jpg

[159032]

Visit site
Given the manual picture which I think shows transit position options would you stow the engine gear lever down?
If I recall correctly this puts dip stick on the upper side but dealer says its on the same side as the gear lever, I have not had time to check.

You don't say how you transported it.
The picture clearly shows the engine with the tiller down and gear lever up.
4 strokes have been around for quite few years now. It's never been a matter of 'just put it down' with 4 strokes.
It's in your own interest to determine how to stow it properly.
A dab of yellow paint on the gear lever, or that side of the bracket, would act as a reminder. Always stow with yellow paint uppermost.

davidpbo

myweb.tiscali.co.uk
You made me look at the picture closer.

I looked at the picture and had it in my head gear lever was on the same side as tiller. My engine has a remote lever for gear and throttle and they are on the starboard side. Which is the side I should have had up. I will check which side I put the "This way up label on when I get Home…"

I don't see a gear lever in the picture and assume gear operation is a function of the tiller.

davidpbo

myweb.tiscali.co.uk
handle.

I have now had a look at the outboard and I got it wrong. Carb is on the starboard side as is the dip stick.

I had posted about this before I found.

As stated I have a yamaha remote for the engine. Does anyone know if it should generate a tone (Low oil pressure alarm) when starting? Mine does not and I would like it to. There is a low pressure indicator LED on the front of the engine but that is not visible due to being in an outboard well

What are people's view on the cost of the service? My wife was told it took a while because of the fuel spill and that they were working on it for a good while.

I would have expected the labour charge to be two hours but as I repair things myself do know that sometimes things can take a while.

Also can anyone point me in the direction of an economical engine hour counter please?

capnsensible

Visit site
A dab of yellow paint on the gear lever, or that side of the bracket, would act as a reminder. Always stow with yellow paint uppermost.

Does it have to be yellow or can use an alternative? Say for example, blue or red?

If you put blue on the other side, you could remember it by saying to yourself 'When Im down, Im Blue'?

Any other tips? TIA.

VicS

Visit site
You made me look at the picture closer.

I looked at the picture and had it in my head gear lever was on the same side as tiller. My engine has a remote lever for gear and throttle and they are on the starboard side. Which is the side I should have had up. I will check which side I put the "This way up label on when I get Home…"

I don't see a gear lever in the picture and assume gear operation is a function of the tiller.

The local gear lever on this engine is mounted on the tiller , not on the opposite side of the engine as Mercury Rising seems to think.

This may be what is causing some of the confusion. It should be laid down on its tiller ( port) side for transport.

The best way to transport a 4 stroke, unless you drain the oil, is upright.

Last edited: