Yacht abandoned on our mooring

Stingray49

Visit site
The seller is on holiday in Australia and it does make you wonder if the yacht sale funded the holiday. After we emailed him informing him that if the yacht was not removed from the mooring by the end of March we want a refund, he replied that he had left a note under the yachts tender telling the buyer of the yacht to remove it now. Being curious I looked and read the note and what he says is true. As mentioned earlier the seller says he does not have any address or phone numbers or bill of sale for the new owner. The price we paid for the mooring was a few hundred pounds so we could afford to write it off considering the mooring was laid for £1500. It really is the principal of the whole matter.

steveeasy

Visit site
Hi,
id stick with it. you have paid for the mooring. It may take time to resolve the issue of the other boat. I wonder if you could ultimately sue the seller for your loses, ie having to pay for mooring costs else where until the seller ensures his part of the bargain is completed,
Of course it wont come to you sueing him, the fact that you have a potential valid claim and notify him of such will make him act very quickly.

Steveeasy

JumbleDuck

Visit site
There isn't a mooring assoc at Cairnies quay where we have our moorings , you deal direct with the crown estates with whom we have a good relationship.

In that case I think it would be definitely worth asking if they can help. Are there any empty spaces nearby where you might lay a mooring or is the bay full?

Malo37

Visit site
Clearly the former mooring owner is lying. He has not sold the boat. (Is it still there after today's storm ?)
As suggested previously, padlock the boat to the mooring and see what happens.

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
I'm assuming you've checked with the sailing club that the new owner hasn't put a membership application in, or emailed the club to enquire about membership?

As you and the old owner are members of the club do the club have any visitors moorings they can put the yacht on so you can complete the transaction?

Someone will be after their boat sooner or later, if you're not that fussed then I would be tempted in just waiting when it moves put your boat on it or temporary sink it. I'm sure some would be padlocking the boat to the mooring with a phone number, date and a daily rate but I can imagine that will only cause trouble. (I would maybe stick a note on it asking him not to use the mooring again)

I'm guessing the new boat owner assumed the mooring has come with the boat, or at least the use of it until the weathers good enough to move the boat away.

Stingray49

Visit site
In the note left under the dinghy it mentions that the new owner said he wants to move the boat to Loch Lomond, which basically is land locked and about 40 miles away, big job moving the yacht. I agree leave alone and surely someone must claim it eventually. The seller told us the new owner could use the mooring till end Sept and after that to phone us.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
We have already asked the crown estates in short they can't help . We have a spare mooring on a trot of 5 which is for sale at a very good price if you are interested.

Thanks, but I'm happy across the water for now. I keep meaning to visit Irvine by boat, but the sailing directions scare me.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
why? Do they mention the Water Sports club? :)

They mention a bar which causes well-found ships to sink with all hands while the women folk watch from the shore, a-wailing and a-wringing of their hands. Or something like that.

I keep meaning to sailing to a boat jumble there, but haven't yet got round it. Won't be the next one, as I've booked a stall.

cavitation

Visit site
Nightmare of a so called club, cheap winter storage and nackered gantry and tractors.
Very unfair comment. Whilst there have been some problems with equipment over the years, these have been fixed by a small group of stalwart members who gave up their time to fix the equipment. Sounds as if you were one of the members who complained a lot but did not put in any effort.
By being a member of the club, I was able to own a 30 foot yacht with winter storage at about a quarter of the cost of the local rip off marinas. Without the club, I would have to have sold the boat.