Yacht abandoned on our mooring

neale

Visit site
If you sell something in gumtree then there is contact between the two parties via email. I suspect it is possible that the mooring owner still owns the boat and is messing you around while he continues to try and sell it. Maybe the gumtree sale fell through.

If he claims to have been paid for the boat, the ask him for the buyers gumtree contact details and pursue him yourself to remove the boat from your mooring.

Stingray49

Visit site
Yes , that is the yacht on our mooring but not sold by DDZ. The seller owned the yacht and mooring, he then sold the yacht and sold us the mooring but the yacht has never moved. The seller can't tell us who he sold the yacht to.

philwebb

Visit site
Why not move the boat to an unused mooring, or anchor it somewhere. The advert says that it has an anchor. Then take possession of the mooring, if you have paid for it it's rightfully yours. If it's on an unused mooring it's not your problem anymore, the owners of the moorings will have to sort it out.

VicS

Visit site
Why not move the boat to an unused mooring, or anchor it somewhere. The advert says that it has an anchor. Then take possession of the mooring, if you have paid for it it's rightfully yours. If it's on an unused mooring it's not your problem anymore, the owners of the moorings will have to sort it out.

By moving back again ?

Poignard

Visit site
The person who has to sort this out is the person who took money from the OP for a mooring he can't use.

oldharry

Visit site
If you are an RYA member, try contacting their Legal Services department. They are pretty clued up on this sort of thing, and keen to help individual members with exactly this sort of problem. Might even be worth the joining fee to get proper and sound legal advice!

Spyro

Visit site
Someone must know who owns this boat. Are you on the sailing cruising Scotland facebook group. Try posting on there. I think I read about this boat a few months ago and someone was saying it needed to be removed. Not sure if that was you or the previous seller. Also post outwith the "wanted section" people tend to only look there if the want something
It's very unusual to keep a boat in the water over winter on a mooring like that. I take it it's the one in front of the old sailing club slipway. It could be as previously suggested that the owner is not around, Ill/dead/ prison/ reggie perrin....etc

Last edited:

Stingray49

Visit site
We now know the name of the new owner Martin Findlay , but no address, no phone number. The seller of the mooring and boat is at present in Australia, he has been contacted and told if the yacht is not removed by the end of March we want the money paid for the mooring refunded. The mooring is the one in front of the old sailing club slipway and thanks for the info Spyro we will try Facebook as suggested . We put the problem on gumtree with a photo but no response. In rely to Omega 2 the mooring has yet to be registered with the Crown Estates who are holding the paperwork until we say the yacht has been removed, so the seller of the mooring is still the registered owner of the mooring and yacht if it sinks breaks loose he is responsible for salvage and reinstating the mooring and the Crown estates will make sure he does this. As suggested the yachts owner could be dead, or some form of money laundering etc etc. Could be an £8000 yacht going cheap ! !

Last edited:

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
I'm sure I read on here a few years ago something similar in Anglesey, it got a bit heated in the end from the new yachy owner refusing to move the boat.

Might be worth doing some searches, just incase it's some sort of scam.

Stingray49

Visit site
The new owner was supposedly told when he bought the yacht that he could use the mooring till the end of September and that the mooring had been sold. We know the seller as he was a member of our boat club so getting a refund should not be a problem. As a last resort we could make a claim on the yachts tender that is chained up to the slipway to compensate us for the money paid for the mooring. The Police have been informed of the situation and have it logged.

Stingray49

Visit site
The yacht is trespassing on our mooring and in Scotland trespass can be a criminal offence, all that has been done is the matter has been reported and recorded to the Police in the event of the owner refusing to move his boat. As the owner cannot be traced we are covering our backs.

[2068]

Visit site
So what would happen if the yacht on the mooring was to be accidentally towed during the night to a random pontoon somewhere, and safely tied up?

Malo37

Visit site
I would apply for a warrant to arrest the boat. You can then either claim rent for the mooring until it is removed or you will eventually have the right to sell the boat and keep the money owed.
You could always try to contact the new owner via his bank (solicitors letter informing him of your intentions with timescale). The chap who sold it must have the details.
In the meaning I would secure the yacht to the mooring with a hefty chain and padlock if possible.

dslittle

Visit site
If you are an RYA member, try contacting their Legal Services department. They are pretty clued up on this sort of thing, and keen to help individual members with exactly this sort of problem. Might even be worth the joining fee to get proper and sound legal advice!

I would go with this. Thinking about it, if it was a marina would they not put a lien on the yacht and then dispose of it?