XM 2000 handheld VHF Charger please

Rafiki

Visit site
If it's the VHF I think it is then it has a battery carrier to use with AA batteries. Why don't you use AA re-chargeable batteries in that holder - you will probably find that they retain their charge better than the original re-chargeable battery in the VHF. Well that's what I did anyway!

SAMYL

Visit site
If you can get a plug for the charging socket you can wire it directly to a 12volt source i.e. a lighter socket.
You probably have one from something else lying about the house.

Last edited:

Egbod

Visit site
Hi everyone, thanks for all the suggestions. I have the VHF radio and a rechargeable battery. To charge the battery it needs to be slid off the radio and into some sort of cradle to connect to a 12v supply from the boats battery or from a mains charger. I was hoping to obtain the cradle, maybe with some sort of wiring.
I do not have a holder for it for AA batteries, that would be another way forward.
My primary need is to source a matching cradle. Thanks again

Last edited:

Rafiki

Visit site
Hi everyone, thanks for all the suggestions. I have the VHF radio and a rechargeable battery. To charge the battery it needs to be slid off the radio and into some sort of cradle to connect to a 12v supply from the boats battery or from a mains charger. I was hoping to obtain the cradle, maybe with some sort of wiring.
I do not have a holder for it for AA batteries, that would be another way forward.
My primary need is to source a matching cradle. Thanks again

I have the same VHF. If you have the original re-chargeable battery pack then it does NOT need to be slid off to re-charge. There is a small re-charging socket on the side of the VHF set.
If instead you are using re-chargeable in the spare battery holder then they can be re-charged by opening the holder and taking the batteries out and putting them in a 'normal' charger designed for AA batteries. This has to be right as as that spare holder was designed to hold ordinary AA batteries for use in an emergency. However, I recall that getting that battery holder open to get at the batteries is not easy. Unfortunately mine is still onboard 100 miles away, but I recall that once you have slid the battery holder off the VHF you open the holder from the top or bottom, I cant recall which, rather than sliding it apart. it then holds 6 AA batteries.
There never was a 'stand' to put the VHF on or teh battery pack for re-charging, at least not in mine which is still going strong after 15 years!

SAMYL

Visit site
Rafiki is correct. And I said in my post above the battery is charged through the charging socket on the radio. There is no cradle or stand.
If you use rechargeable AA batteries put them in the holder, slide it onto the radio and charge them through the socket on the radio as you do for the main battery.