Would you buy it?

capsco

Visit site
Would you buy it a twin diesel [2x 250hp] boat that has done 600 hours never been of the river normally run at 1100rpm.?

Elessar

Visit site
I did something similar last April.

780 hrs when bought (220hp mercs) and only the first few on the sea. I added 120 odd last year and all seems OK.

My first trip out of the Thames and along the North coast of France saw speed increasing daily. Presumably as the turbos cleared themselves out.

No oil use problems so I presume the bores are OK. A compression test would be wise though before purchase, but I didn't bother.

The issues I had were
1) fuel filter blockages as the shite in the tank stirred up. First one went in the shipping lane just as fog descended which was proper scary. Had to fix it in the separation zone. Buy loads of fuel filters.
2) a duff impellor that was fine at river speeds, but temperature was creeping up by the time I got to Westminster - had to stop at St Kats to diagnose.
3) partially blocked air filters again not noticed until throttles opened and see 1 above. Clean air filters gave me a knot.

miket

Visit site
Most of the larger Brooms and princesses on the Thames are large engined and apart from a bit of smoke and as previously mentioned some crud in the bottom of the tank, are fine. I bought a Fairline Turbo 36 some years ago with 2 x 300 hp Cummins, that had spent all it's life on the river with occasional forays to St Kat's. After a short time on the coast it was matching other similar Turbo 36's and the smoke disappeared.

Divemaster1

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yanmar 250 turbos ....

[/ QUOTE ]

Used in Commercial & Fishing boats ... so should be OK, but try to run them up slowly... Turbo's may need clearing, but probably needs to be used....

Should be easy Starters from cold (completely)... which should be an indication on health..

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I once bought a Turbo 36 which had spent most of it's 8 yr life on the Thames. We didn't get any fuel or turbo probs but some of the oil seals started leaking after we bought her and started using her at sea. The seals lose flexibility over time and then can't cope with the increased pressure when the engine works harder