Worst Volvo Penta Rip off?

Momac

Visit site
I have a list of filters that good brands that a worthwhile sum less than the VP items .
To be honest the car parts have risen considerably the last couple of years and not the bargains they used to be. But I have in the past had an air filter for £5 that was £25 from VP and oil for £25 that was £125 in VP branded bottles.

Some VP items are durable eg belts. I have also tried cheaper impellers but the VP items are much longer lived.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
...oil for £25 that was £125 in VP branded bottles...

20+ years ago a Volvo Marine place tried to sell me Mann M77 oil filter for about £18; I instead bought 3 of them for a tenner at the local car spares shop. What annoyed me most especially was that they didn't even have the decency to use a VP branded box, it was in Mann box, with just a white sticky label displaying the Volvo name & part number affixed to it.

AndrewB

Visit site
Just replaced my MD2030 Heat Exchanger Cap.
Parts4engines, £15, inc Vat and delivery.
Same part from a VP Dealer. here in Corfu....£85.
EVERTHING is a rip-off from Corfu marine dealers! Some examples just in this last month:

1. Gas bottle refill, €25 from local chandlers, €12 from the shop on the main road near the Golf Hotel ... but she is reluctant to supply it if she thinks you are from the marina.

2. I was quoted €6,120 for supplying and fitting new rigging by Corfu Yacht Base, who have a monopoly in the marina. Decided to do it myself: £2,215 for the rigging from Jimmy Green, plus €320 to have the mast taken down and then replaced using the marina crane (I'm too old to climb up!). Plus of course my own time. The head rigger was furious when he realised, and appeared to try to intimidate the crane driver. But the crane guys were sympathetic.

3. Local dealers quoted €1,250 for a new Honda 2.3 outboard. My German neighbour just bought one from Germany for €820 including delivery to the marina. I'll do the same next spring (similar price in UK, but now of course there would be import duties).

Beneteau381

Visit site
Just replaced my MD2030 Heat Exchanger Cap.
Parts4engines, £15, inc Vat and delivery.
Same part from a VP Dealer. here in Corfu....£85.
oil filter and secondary filter for 2030, €32 plus tva each here in one of the workshops in Albufeira Marina. When I expressed my thoughts she said, its the VP recommended price! We found a motor factor up the road, €13 plus tva each, Mahle, made in Austria.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
oil filter and secondary filter for 2030, €32 plus tva each... workshops in Marina. ...motor factor up the road, €13 plus tva each, Mahle, made in Austria.

BMW motorcycle dealers only add about 100% to the price of their Mahle filters and they do put them into a BMW box for that premium. To be fair though, the Mahle filters which BMW rebadge and sell on are still just 'filters', whereas the Volvo ones that you saw had become 'Marine filters'.