Worlds largest yachts.....

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
How big are they?
Who made them?
What are they called?
and more importantly who owns them?

Well most of it's on this website....

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://powerandmotoryacht.about.com/library/weekly/august02/aa080702b.htm>http://powerandmotoryacht.about.com/library/weekly/august02/aa080702b.htm</A>

Apparently TCM's magnificent vessel was 101st.

Forbsie

Visit site
Is number 2 Byron´s boat? Has he got it moored on the Thames and that´s why the level is so low? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie>My Project Pics</A>

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
These guys were moored at Antibes and I figure some of them must be in the list. Maybe tcm or jfm can identify?
bigboys.jpg

Is the one on the right below Kingdom?
bigboys2.jpg

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb and Boaters Photo Gallery</A>

jfm

Visit site
trainspotting follows........

Yes the one at far right is Kingdom, owned by Prince Alwaleed. It's was always pretty ugly imho, and then he had it painted beige after he bought it. I know someone who met him a couple of years ago, and apparently when he bort Kingdom (2nd hand) he did the usual thing of sending his lawyers and agents to sort out the deal but when he viewed it himself he didn't spend the whole time in the owner's party quarters but rather he personally spent hours looking all over it, down in machinery rooms, bilges etc, and is personally quite interested in the oily rag bits. A soulmate for TCM praps - praps he'll fired his timewaster t*sser skipper soon as well

The one that is two boats to the left is in Paul Allen's berth. (co-founder of microsoft). That's the berth he famously got by buying Hanse (a shagged out 50m, currently for sale at less than USD8m) just to get the berth. He immediately put Hanse back on market minus the berth, at USD5m less than he paid for it. But the boat in the berth isn't PA's boat which is a Feadship called Meduse. It might be Charade, which is his old boat that he gave to his sister when Meduse arrived, but I'm not sure.

Sorry B1 you picked a bad w/e to photo there. In August you would have got Meduse, Grand Bleu, Boadicea and Leander all lined up side by side!

NorthernWave

Visit site
Re: trainspotting follows........

Have you noticed, no matter how big your boat there is always one bigger and better than yours?????

My little 40 footer!!!

Chris

Relaxation starts at the pontoon gate

tcm

Visit site

Like many people, i have wandered up and down the pontton and the IYC (the big boat pontoon in the pic is a separarate entity, INternational Yacht Club, nothing to do with port vauban) but last time with emma. Crew bloke walks off Kingdom and says oh hi emma. Duh? You know them - so can we have a look round then? No, says emma, strict rule on kingdom is no walking yer mates around nor family, else there'd be loads. Also, she's been told, EVERYTHING is beige and green. Blurgh. Never chartered out, uses it a week a year. Last time they went to Beirut cos the owner was there, but he didn't go on the boat much if at all.

But none of these are biggest. Lady Moura is amonst the largest (King Fayed) and plies between Palma and Monaco, and I stayed next to her massive Palma berth. The berth even has dedicated garbage bins, rather elaborately painted with the word "Reserved for the use of M/Y Lady Moura" ....presumably cos otherwise it would say "Lady Moura's Rubbish".

Recently , I think Evergreen (may have bin sold and renamed), ghastly yuk inside cos malaysian or far eastern owner was the biggest...but for the owner who owns a shipping line, it's the smallest of his fleet. Good eh?

tcm

Visit site

kingdom (arab as jfm says) ,
meduse (microsoft co-owner)
M-sumink (crap like Maekwon cos its the first letter of the name of his 7 kids) by son of King Fayed, anyway big picof king fayed in front of main aft entry
can't see the next one,
Blue hull i think is Calixe? Celize? B summink? old junk curr for sale in boat international. "Large deck spaces" so obviously they're nicking the spare boats and deck furntiure for next boat.
then Crystal summink Park? (er not much use this is it, must have been ratted again...)

Anyway the one just out of shot to left is Sussuro which is 40metres and 40 knots dive boat yahoo. All sort of ethnic whickery things inside (weight saving see) and balsa cored everything else that looks solid. For sale. Learner has already made an offer of £150k PROVIDED they polish and deliver to la rague but they obviously just don't want to sell it.

jfm

Visit site
Re: trainspotting dispute

It's not meduse, though it's in his parking space. Meduse has a website, as you'd expect from the boy Allen I spose, meduse.com. Here's a pic of it.

This is on the Amazon, and the boat in the background is Charade, his old boat that he gave to his sister. Great family outing, "I'm going to the Amazon, wanna come Sis?", "Yeah orlright I'll bring me boat too". I hope they didn't have too much trouble finding each other at the "meet", what with all the other stuff around

amazon.jpg

tcm

Visit site
Re: oops

completely different. Well, a bit different anyway.

So, just to be clear about this, I walked up and down the pontton last week on Thursday night with emma, who knew quite few people, and pointed out several boats, and then on Friday walked up and down again with B1 and Coliholic, and only boat I remember is Kingdom. And Sussuro. Both of which have been nailed to quayside for two entire seasons.

Must have been good hols eh?

aswade

Visit site
Additonal info

Evergreen is just under 300 feet. Owner is Taiwanese, Chang I believe- owns Evergreen Shipping Lines and EVA airlines. As tcm said, he put it up for sale because he's building a bigger one. Very tacky inside- many Arab and Asian owners don't know the meaning of good taste.

Le Grand Bleu is well over 300 feet, and Paul Allen is reputed to have bought her from the McCaws after buying Tattoosh from them. Boat 2nd over from Kingdom in pic might be Tattoosh but doesn't look large enough- interesting note, Tattoosh has remote-controlled water cannons to repel boarders.

Several boats in build now over 400 feet- Larry Ellison's new boat is one of them (He just sold Izanami and has Katana up for sale.) Lady Moura is 350ish I think.

Boat next to Kingdom looks like Parrafin, new launch 197 foot Feadship. Owned by Mike Kittrick (sp?) guy who founded Yankee Candle Company as a teenager, hence name Paraffin.

Blue-hulled boat is Carinthia VI, built in 70s for German retailing billionaire- is now for sale by her widow (Heidi something with a hyphen innit.) because she's just launched a 350 footer from Lurssen in Germany.

My employer was on Kingdom several times when she was owned by Trump. Impressive vessel at the time she was built in early 80s but now very dated in comparison to newer megayachts.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Re: Additonal info

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Boat next to Kingdom looks like Parrafin

<hr></blockquote>

Yep, thats the one.....wondered why on earth anyone would call a boat that !

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.boatsontheweb.com/galleryframes.html> BoatsOnTheWeb Photo Gallery</A>

G

Re: Additonal info

Yep, I think you're right.
She was built last year by Feadship. About 200ft and 1,000 tonnes.
I have a friend who is her First Officer, but havn't actually been on board her.
Don't know why she is called that either, must ask sometime!
Some of those boats have to be seen to be believed.
Went aboard 'Rassellas' a few years ago, not big by todays standards, she was awesome!