Working online....

Billyo

Visit site
Has anyone worked for one of these online companies that offer part time flexible working? As I watch my bank balance slowly dwindle it occurs to me that as I now wake up at 5 every morning I have a couple of hours to kill before the day starts properly.

Been looking at a few of them and they all ask for a whatsapp message to send me the job offers.

Sounds like it's just a data mining excersie to me, but has anyone used it? Or have a recommendation for a legit site/platform?

Yngmar

Visit site
It's a shark tank and you asking this question on a sailing forum means you should avoid those waters.

Summarized, most of them are fake and end up asking you for upfront money under some excuse and/or are ponzi/pyramid/MLM schemes. The ones that are real pay pennies and competition is extreme as you are competing with everyone on the internet, and the internet reaches into places where people exist off $10 a month.

dankilb

Visit site
I'd doubt you'd get very far with 'generic' remote work/outsourcing opportunities in this day and age. Generative AI is replacing many of these tasks anyway (proof reading, copy editing etc.) and there is a large and established labour pool available in the developing world for those that remain (data entry/handling/processing etc.).

If you need to work remotely, can you not deploy any existing skills, experience or professional networks? I work in education and so logical options for me might include online tutoring, marking or producing resources. Those with more hands-on careers might still have skills they could deploy (e.g. drafting, CAD, consultancy). Anecdotally, for instance on here, it seems IT/web/systems skills are more commonly deployed remotely.

Yes - the advertisements are scams - and even if you find one that isn't, there's a question as to what nature/pay any work an employer would be willing to punt to an unknown quantity to undertake for a few hours a day might involve in reality.