Work/Liveaboard

PeternHeather

Visit site
H&I are looking at a getting a boat to live and work aboard. Considering berthing in Spain (Med side). Done some research into types/size of boats and have come across the Turkish Gulet. I acknowledge that wood will increase maintenance costs, but does anyone have any experience/thoughts on the seaworthiness of these boats as we are looking at going beyond the Med.

<hr width=100% size=1>Peter and Heather

AndrewB

Visit site
Gulets

There have been a number of threads over the years about gulets, for example <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=LIVEABOARD&Number=391778>HERE</A>. The concensus seems to be that they sail badly and not suitable for open sea passages, but are attractive and comfortable for living aboard.

<hr width=100% size=1>

PeternHeather

Visit site
Re: Gulets

Apologies for delay in replying, Christmas and a Cold combined :(

Thanks for the thread and the thoughts.

Research I have done indicates the maintenance can be 10% of the value so needs to be costed against any purchase savings.

Would be looking at a teak/mahogany boat and possibly writing it off after 10 years anyway so was not too concerned about longevity.

I am interested in the fact that they may not be suitable for long passages, what is the fault? Also that they sail badly, is that because of the compromise of motor/sailer, I understand other boats have a similar failing.

Given we want to live aboard (H & I), and be able to accomodate up to 12 visitors/guests/delegates, any thoughts on what other boat might be suitable?

Many thanks.

P

<hr width=100% size=1>Peter and Heather

ccscott49

Visit site
Re: Gulets

go for a gulet/type, they just dont have big enough rigs to sail well, but in the meddy who cares? Plenty of accomodation and comfortable, what more could you want for med liveaboard/charter.

<hr width=100% size=1>