woodwork

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Sick of having to keep re-varnishing.My mate just painted all the wood exterior bits but any suggestions for a paint that will last and also look nice?

Poignard

Visit site
Sick of having to keep re-varnishing.My mate just painted all the wood exterior bits but any suggestions for a paint that will last and also look nice?

I use micro-porous paint on the house woodwork (softwood) and that lasts much longer than normal paint.

If I were you I would think twice before painting instead of varnishing. It may make people suspect you are hiding something. The cockpit coamings on my boat had been painted by a previous owner to hide rot. They were unnoticed behind the dodgers. I would never buy another boat that had had its brightwork painted.

Also, with varnish you can soon see if damp is getting behind it but with paint you can't.

Last edited by a moderator:

Huttoft

Visit site

I have used Sikkens microporous for quite a few years. Both indoors and outdoors on boats and around my house. I have used the same stuff for example on boat grabrails, bathing platform foot boards, house soffet boards, garage doors and even down to the skirting boards in my house. It gives an excellent varnish like finish that lasts for years without any cracking or peeling, and when a fresh coat is needed it only needs a wash down and it's ready for another coat. I have no connection with the makers or any sellers.

Tranona

Visit site
Strip it back and use Sikkens Novatech/Top porous woodstain. won't need to do it again in a hurry. See recent PBO for summary of tests on different "varnish" type finishes. Sikkens always comes out top for price, ease of application and durability. What more can you want!

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
If it's good wood, like teak. Just leave it alone, let it go silver grey. Wash with salt water after any spell laid up where fresh may have sat on it & allowed algea growth. Scrub with sugar soap or stone blocks if you want to keep it bright like the big boys used to. :D

Panache2010

Visit site
I wish the chap who last owned my boat hadn't used paint inside, I think he's used household gloss and I'm finding loads of moisture trapped behind it, i have the dehumidifier running at the moment and it's pulling a tankfull out every day, i've just piped it out through the transduser skin fitting to save keep emptying it daily
I suspect i have alot of work to do once it's reasonably dried out
No sailing for my little yacht till next year :(

kevindominguez

Visit site
parsifal, that is very true. Micro-porous paint especially when used on soft wood really does last longer. But doesn't it cost more?

By the way, I've come across this: teds woodworking
reaaaaallly helpful in my woodworking projects.