Wooden pad for outboard motor bracket.

graham

Visit site
I have some unknown hardwood which seems very tough and oily from which I intend to cut a 2 inch thick pad to replace a plywood pad which is going soft.

The size is 12"x12" The top 4" extends above the metal bracket so is unsupported.

Should I fit the pad with the grain vertical or horizontal? The Engine is bolted (not just clamped) to the pad.

Thanks for any advice and happy New Year everyone.

TOKOLOSHI

Visit site
Vertical......................someone will be along shortly to say horizontal, that would be the weakest way. imo

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Vertical......................someone will be along shortly to say horizontal, that would be the weakest way. imo

Humm, yes certainly vertically, so that the timbers grain is not in 'shear' mode, especially considering that the top of the 'outboard pad'is 4inch above any support.

Also do make sure that your outboard clamp can open as wide as the timber pad, have seen modifications where the 'pad' is thicker than the outboard clamp can open up to, especially happens when the pad is over clad in metal.

Last edited:

graham

Visit site
Thanks for the replies , makes sense .

Re thickness the old pad was 1 3/4 " and I am sure there was about 1/2" spare thread on the clamps but will check again ,especially as I will be cutting it by hand from larger block definitely want it right first time.

Cheers

prr

Visit site
Best not to have end grain pointing up towards the heavens, where rain comes from. 2' thick hardwood should be as strong either way. IMHO.

Last edited: