Wooden cabin sole again

Independence

Visit site
Thanks for the recommendations on what to paint my wooden cabin soles with.

My next problem is that they became saturated with water whilst the vessel was under previous ownership.

It's not been warm enough recently in my shed (understatement I know) for them to dry out but I was wondering if I should be washing them down with hot soapy water or something in order to remove salt water which might otherwise slow down the drying process before I paint them.

Any comments?

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I would have thought that it would do no harm to scrub them with warm soapy water - at least it will get rid of any salt and other gunge. I tried a similar thing with the wooden sole bearers on my boat, in a previous life it had had an oil and diesel leak. Unfortunately scrubbing them made no difference to the smell so I had to replace them.

exfinnsailor

Visit site
Bear in mind if you get them to wet .. They may twist or warp .. A good brush down and a sand will do them no harm and a suitable two pack varnish to finish .. Do both sides and the edges .. If you do wash them you will need to keep them flat while they dry which in this weather will take forever ..

Boat44

Solent (but never on a bank holiday weekend)
Visit site
I did all ours last year in the dinning room (The missus was not too amused by the end. And the smell of fresh varnish is i guess and aquired tatse!)

Several of them had suffered from salt water, oil and diesel. Fairly liquid and warm water let dry, then do same with white spirits. had to do some several times till i was happy enough.

I then sanded all the old varnish off down to wood and put 6 coats of epef. on. Should have gone for 10-12 really as some in the high wear areas could do with another coat or two.

Have fun!

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Plain old Methylated sprits will remove some of the muck and mix with any water just below the surface and assist in speeding up the drying process.

Acetone will do the same thing but remove more of the muck and dry faster.

A coat of reaction lacquer works well on the undersides. We avoid using it on any surface that might get sun cream on it as it causes a colour change or stain.

Avagoodweekend.