Wonderful weekend to be on the river

TrueBlue

Visit site
Rising sun(s)

[ QUOTE ]

The reason behind the 'rising sun' lock signs , is that they wanted something that could be seen from a long way away , but that also didn't announce to any lurking 'youths' that there was no one in attendance at the lock , with the resulting vandalism that may ensue.

Thats the only reason for doing away with the original 'Lock Unmanned ' signs as far as i am aware.

[/ QUOTE ]

That makes good sense; I wish someone had explained that to me before I had a little go about them last season, and I did ask at least two members of staff how they were designed...

The problem with the old signs was that they were always hidden behind the pedestals (probably for the reasons above), so one had to go on the lockside to check.

So now one can see what's not happening in advance.

Great, I appreciate that. (SWMBO always says don't go up (and interfere), there surely must be somebody there, now I can say, but, my dear...)

As to the on/off time I have noticed some place the "I'm mending my weir" sign in the lock cabin, so there's still a way of knowing when he (she) will be back.

Now we have three new etiquette(s) to add:-

(1) Thou should navigate so well that your underwater coffee grinder is redundant or at least used only slightly.

(2). If the rising sun sign is displayed and you are not prepared to work the lock yourself, please do not "park" your boat in the middle of the layby while you have your lunch.

(3). Similarly, should you be broken down, stopped early for the day and ignore the rules about overnight mooring at locks, please,please either put your boat right at the back of the layby, or even right at the front - tight up to the end, so that nutters (myself included) who insist on cruising out of lock keepers hours, can at least get ashore.

And while I'm at it, (4) should you stop in the middle of a layby, because you think it's the correct thing to do, or are not confident in manoeuvring your boat so close to a lock, or whatever, please - should other vessels hove in sight; move your boat along so that they can use the layby. If I see a large open space in front and there is no other space on the layby, I will use it. However, I will NOT jump the queue and always wait for earlier boats to go first.

Explanation: There are some locks where there are strong flows at the upstream end (for example Chertsey) and eddies downstream (Marsh, Hambledon, Cleeve on a bad day ) which can throw yer boat around something rotten, so it's best to get on and tie up while you still have some forward motion.

Sorry, turned into a minor rant.