Wolf Rock

DFL1010

Visit site
2x RNLI offshore LB and a helicopter on scene. 43T BP tug not sparing the horses to go grab it. Will be a bit rolly for them but hopefully all well onboard.

ylop

Visit site
I thought from that picture that she was actually aground on wolf rock - but marine traffic seem to show her drifting towards shore.

DFL1010

Visit site
Another angle, photo via Cornwall Live
0_JH_DL_10-7-23_CARGOSHIP_02jpeg.jpg

Not ideal.

Reactions: FWB

DownWest

Visit site
If the rock is only a pinnacle sticking up, why not blow it up? Bit cheaper than building a light house?
Down on the Costa Smirelda, a big Italian MoBo hit such a pinnacle and sunk, so the Aga Khan, who owned the resort area, had the rock 'shortened'.

ylop

Visit site
There's a tug on scene now - although not currently showing as under tow.
If the rock is only a pinnacle sticking up, why not blow it up? Bit cheaper than building a light house?
Down on the Costa Smirelda, a big Italian MoBo hit such a pinnacle and sunk, so the Aga Khan, who owned the resort area, had the rock 'shortened'.
The current light house was built in the 1800s - I'm not sure our capabilities at blowing up big lumps of rock, with a lot of it underwater was that good back then. The electronic chart looks like there might be a collection of other rocks very close by - so how deep do you go? At least with a rock above water in good vis you can spot it, with a light you can spot it in the dark. A hidden hazard seems like it could be worse if you don't make it big enough (and do it it quickly enough - you leave a worse situation for a while). Now that it is built you "only" need to maintain it. With GPS and electronic charts theres an argument you don't need lighthouses at all, but there will always be shore line somewhere to get in the way of drifting ships.

fisherman

Visit site
There's a tug on scene now - although not currently showing as under tow.
Trouble is now it looks as though she can make way, slowly, so can she avoid the towage? Sennen LB has left, in a minute they will call out The Lizard boat, then Falmouth, to stand by. At 1kt SOG that'll be 24hours (against the tide at the moment so can improve). But without any threat to life she might be allowed to press on.
Forecast is quite poor for this evening.

edit: looks like she's under tow and Lizard has launched.

DFL1010

Visit site
From what I hear, they've done a bit of a number on the ship's bottom.

Doubtful they're going anywhere else other than DD, and most likely Fal. GIven the forecast I'd imagine SOSREP would get involved otherwise.

fisherman

Visit site
From what I hear, they've done a bit of a number on the ship's bottom.

Doubtful they're going anywhere else other than DD, and most likely Fal. GIven the forecast I'd imagine SOSREP would get involved otherwise.
I wonder how much perishable produce is aboard.
...and what can be rigged as a ramp to get the lorries off?

Last edited: