Wireless Windlass Remote with no Delay

Andrew_Trayfoot

Visit site
I have got on cheap wireless remote from my windlass like this:

12V 24V Recovery Wireless Winch Remote Control Kit for Truck ATV SUV 75ft Universal Mini Car Winch Wireless Remote Control Switch Set 2 Remote Control Kit Handset Switch Controller https://amzn.eu/d/00aO83YI

It works perfectly except that there is a very short delay between taking your finger off the up/in button and the windlass actually stopping. Just enough for the anchor to crash into the windlass....
If I use the hard wired swich that is back on the panel it stops instantaneously....
Anyone know of one if theses cheap remotes that does not have the delay?

noelex

Visit site
A small time delay is one of the advantages of the industrial crane controls. It makes "parking" the anchor easier and safer.

IMG_6825.jpeg

noelex

Visit site
Please will you stop promoting these things. I don’t believe you when you say you have no commercial interest in this.
I have absolutely no commercial interest in this equipment (or any other product). I am just a satisfied user. I have posted this on previous threads.

My wife and I have been cruising full time for 17 years. Most of these nights have been at anchor. We have tried most options for controlling the anchor windlass. The commonly recommended wireless 4WD winch control units are great value for money and are a useful option that compliment wired remotes or foot switches. However, they have some limitations. There is some delay (as noted by the OP), they need unusual batteries, and are somewhat unreliable (in my experience). If you anchor frequently the commercial crane units are a better option, in my view.

Please stop these completely unfounded personal attacks.

Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
It’s not a personal attack. You promote a crane controller that has zero application in the marine world over and over again. It looks nothing like a windlass remote, or a bow thruster remote, no normal sailor / boater looking at this could possibly work out how to use it, yet you continue to claim it’s the perfect solution.

I’ve reported my own post to the admins.

If I’m wrong I’m happy to have this pulled.

noelex

Visit site
It’s not a personal attack. You promote a crane controller that has zero application in the marine world over and over again. It looks nothing like a windlass remote, or a bow thruster remote, no normal sailor / boater looking at this could possibly work out how to use it, yet you continue to claim it’s the perfect solution.

I’ve reported my own post to the admins.

If I’m wrong I’m happy to have this pulled.
I have used this wireless remote control for the last 6+ years including almost 2000 nights at anchor and it has worked flawlessly. This is in the "marine world". The wiring is simple and no more difficult than other wireless remotes. That means it is very easy.

To use the anchor windlass you press "up" to raise the anchor and "down" to lower the anchor. It is not rocket science :).

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
We don't have a wireless control, have never felt the need.

We stop the windlass just before the anchor shackle touches the roller, the chain is marked. As well as marking the chain we also have a boomerang than ensures the anchor arrives 'the right way round' at the bow roller. At the point when the anchor actually comes up and over the bow roller the shock on the windlass is much greater than any other time. If we park by hand that shock loading does not occur and we can house the anchor exactly where we want it. If you ram the anchor into the bow roller you are not doing any good to the bow roller nor windlass.

We need to be at the bow roller anyway - as we lash the anchor and release any tension on the windlass. The anchor cannot then fall (if the clutch slips) and the windlass is not under constant tension.

We did this with our 15kg anchors and our replacement 8kg aluminium anchors. If you (or we) had had a 50kg anchor (of that size it would be much bigger than the average anchor and yacht than owned by members here) we would have needed (a bigger windlass. :)) and maybe a different practice.

Windlass are amazingly robust, if cared for they last, almost, for ever - if you can treat them with care - maybe they would last even longer.

My Boomerang is made by 2 companies, Anchor Right in Australia, who copied the design from an article in the now defunct magazine Cruising Helmsman and claimed the design as their own (you can imagine my views on that - but I did publish open source) and Viking Anchors who asked my permission. I make no money from either but am simply flattered that they think my design useful. Similarly with my Bridle Plate, see Zoidberg's thread on soft shackles - you can make your own or buy from Viking Anchor, again I make no money - flattery is sufficient :)

But I do regularly think I should have gone into production - but as quickly discard the idea - as I then could not post here🤣

Jonathan

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
I have got on cheap wireless remote from my windlass like this:

12V 24V Recovery Wireless Winch Remote Control Kit for Truck ATV SUV 75ft Universal Mini Car Winch Wireless Remote Control Switch Set 2 Remote Control Kit Handset Switch Controller https://amzn.eu/d/00aO83YI

It works perfectly except that there is a very short delay between taking your finger off the up/in button and the windlass actually stopping. Just enough for the anchor to crash into the windlass....
If I use the hard wired swich that is back on the panel it stops instantaneously....
Anyone know of one if theses cheap remotes that does not have the delay?
I think they all have this delay. I have a Sidepower dual remote that does both the thruster and the windlass (independently!) and has no delay. expensive but so good.

noelex

Visit site
Here are a couple photos I have just taken of my well used unit. It has been left on the foredeck and exposed to salt water a few times, but is still working well (although the aerial has been slightly broken ). The labels showing scope vs depth are a useful addition.
You_Doodle_2024-07-25T22_40_16Z.jpegYou_Doodle_2024-07-25T22_39_36Z.jpeg

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
Here are a couple photos I have just taken of my well used unit. It has been left on the foredeck and exposed to salt water a few times, but is still working well (although the aerial has been slightly broken ). The labels showing scope vs depth are a useful addition.
View attachment 180528View attachment 180529
Looks like a 'good' Chinese remote - that will engender a lot of support from the Sinophobes.

Jonathan

noelex

Visit site
Looks like a 'good' Chinese remote - that will engender a lot of support from the Sinophobes.

Jonathan

The cheaper wireless 4WD winch controlers are great value for money. See below:

For around £10- £15 these are a bargain. They are a great adjunct to a wired remote or foot switches. The freedom to operate the windlass from anywhere on the boat is very beneficial.

Given the very low cost of these units (and easy installation) every boat that anchors frequently (and has an electric anchor winch) should consider purchasing a wireless anchor remote in my view. Additional alternative back ups for activating the anchor winch are also sensible.

However, these inexpensive wireless units do have limitations such as the longer delay that the OP has noted.

For slightly more money the industrial wireless options that I have posted above are an alternative solution. These units fix most of the limitations of the very inexpensive units for not much extra cost ( in boat money :)).

We use our wireless windlass remote almost exclusively (although we have wired back ups) so the performance is important. The industrial wireless remote units have been our best solution.
You_Doodle_2024-07-26T02_23_44Z.jpeg

Last edited:

Neeves

Visit site
Devils Advocate

Normal windlass operation is at the bow, or near the windlass, OR at the helm. Some have both, near windlass and at the helm.

I really find it difficult the envisage where else on the boat you would want a windlass controller, so if you have both helm and windlass locations having a remote seems - redundant.

If you have crew then one person could operate engine and helm the other person windlass (at the bow or adjacent to the windlass). No need for a remote.

If you are single handed I really don't see how a remote helps - you need to be at the helm to operate the engine/helm and operating the remote means you do so 'blind' of the rode (and vice versa).

We never had a remote, we never felt the need (hence the post). A remote seems a crutch that is unnecessary - if you know your yacht, can device a couple of simple hand signals for communication AND mark your chain.

I'd re-wire to have both at both helm and windlass.

But - I was quite happy (single handed), and remain happy, with windlass controls located at the bow and the need to commute a few feet aft to the helm and throttle. If I had a long walk, arthritic knees and steps to climb from windlass/bow to helm/throttle I might have a different view.

Remotes might be convenient, until the battery fails, and cheap - but a decent bottle of malt whisky would give me more pleasure - personal choice.

Jonathan

GHA

Visit site
You ask for a bit of assistance or advice about a piece of kit and there's always someone along in short time yo tell you if you were a proper seaman or had a proper boat you wouldn't even need the said item.
Social media is many things, including a global repository for human bias in imaginary universes which bear little resemblance to the one we walk around in 😁 Opposite of science, we big brained monkeys tend to think of how the world should be then make up a load of stuff to convince ourselves rather than for try it out for a few weeks to see it actually behaves like that. 😲🤣

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Devils Advocate

Normal windlass operation is at the bow, or near the windlass, OR at the helm. Some have both, near windlass and at the helm.

I really find it difficult the envisage where else on the boat you would want a windlass controller, so if you have both helm and windlass locations having a remote seems - redundant.
As with pretty much everything else, you are unable to envisage anything that doesn't conform to your own opinion/preference.
If you have crew then one person could operate engine and helm the other person windlass (at the bow or adjacent to the windlass). No need for a remote.

If you are single handed I really don't see how a remote helps - you need to be at the helm to operate the engine/helm and operating the remote means you do so 'blind' of the rode (and vice versa).
The control at the helm is just as "blind"
We never had a remote, we never felt the need (hence the post). A remote seems a crutch that is unnecessary - if you know your yacht, can device a couple of simple hand signals for communication AND mark your chain.
Of course, you didn't have one, so it's unnecessary.
I'd re-wire to have both at both helm and windlass.
I already have fixed controls at the lower helm, flybridge and a plug in, wired remote at the windlass. I have also fitted a wireless remote, i can stand at the bow while crew take the helm and operate the windlass whilst keeping an eye on things. I'm not restricted to any particular spot on the deck, such has having to stand on foot switches and can easily lean over to remove weed etc from the chain whilst using the remote.

Why would anyone fit a fixed windless control at the windlass, on a boat that doesn't have one, when a remote can be fitted for less money, less work, no extra holes in the deck and be operated from anywhere ?
But - I was quite happy (single handed), and remain happy, with windlass controls located at the bow and the need to commute a few feet aft to the helm and throttle. If I had a long walk, arthritic knees and steps to climb from windlass/bow to helm/throttle I might have a different view.

Remotes might be convenient, until the battery fails, and cheap - but a decent bottle of malt whisky would give me more pleasure - personal choice.
The cheap control in the OP comes with 2 hand units. Batteries are available. Such reasoning is just trying to justify your entrenched opinion that remotes are a bad thing. What happens if a fixed switch or its wiring fails ? Bet you can't fix it as quick as i can swap to my spare remote !

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
We’ve been using a cheap eBay wireless remote for about 12 years now. They tend to last about 6 or 7 years before needing replacement. Yes, there’s a delay but, once you’ve got used to it, you compensate almost without thinking about it. We’ve got a wired alternative which we test once or twice a year but the only time we’ve used it of late was when we couldn’t find the remote….
Having the wireless controller means we can raise and lower the anchor from anywhere on the boat, which is occasionally a god send. It also means we don’t need to plug the wired controlled in every time we anchor (which is most of the time).
Equally,I get that there’s folks who like their deck switches and wired controllers: to each his own.

Neeves

Visit site
Equally,I get that there’s folks who like their deck switches and wired controllers: to each his own.

PBO is about sharing experiences. And if you don't like the experiences...

Shoot the messenger. It will certainly encourage others to offer a dissenting voice.

Its a good thing that some don't mind some personal experiences offering an alternative point of view.

I really loved this

i can stand at the bow while crew take the helm and operate the windlass whilst keeping an eye on things.

unquote

Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
Simple question was asked - answer is simple. Cheap remotes have a delay, More expensive ones don't (or may not).

Neither question nor answer are dependent on whether the devices are useful or not except that the better product is a bit more user friendly.