Wireless or Wired masthead hardware .....

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
First night at anchor on the new boat was a baptism of fire .... nasty thunderstorms and strong winds. I want to replace the aging instruments, plotters, VHF, and radar with modern equipment ... and I've noticed there are quite a few systems with wireless masthead components. Normally I'd go hard-wired for reliability, but, sitting in the middle of a thunderstorm for a few hours, watching it go straight over the top of us got me thinking.

Is there anything to be gained from going wireless in terms of stuff getting fried?

The VHF antenna is going to have to run up the mast anyway - so there will always be a path into the electrickery for a lightning strike (maybe I can mitigate if it's just the VHF antenna?) - but how reliable is a wireless wind instrument and radar connection? - and would an automatic solar masthead allround white be a viable option?

Apart from the antenna, the only other electrical connections in the mast would be a long way from the top, and would be power for radar, steaming light, and deck lights.

What are the thoughts and experiences of the forum regarding wireless masthead equipment? .... our air draft is 20 metres.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
Wired!
Is any of it actually wireless? Normally wireless refers to data and since it needs a power supply might as well have data cable also. Even stuff that runs off batteries is generally inferior to wired data and power.

I suggest not thinking about lighting. There appears (in my understanding) to be limited and poor information about any measures that may help. Either you limit damage with a source to earth but increase risk of strike or vice versa. Don’t worry about it. If you must hang around where it is a big issue (Florida etc) just leave during the season or whatever. Not worth the brain space

BCsailor

Visit site
Our Tacktick (now Raymarine) wireless system has been good since 2011. A couple (2) easy parts replacements over 13 years.

NO power wire up mast needed (odd suggestion).

I'm sure lightning would destroy whether wired or wireless....

Tranona

Visit site
Yes. B&G, Garmin, Raymarine & Nasa all make wireless wind mast head units. They incorporate a solar panel and require no cables up the mast.
I am just in the process of installing a wireless NASA. Boat end of receiver and display in and working. Other end being attached to the mast tomorrow after I have checked it sends the signal. Did not want to run another wire down the mast, even though it is off the boat because of the problem of running wires through the boat.

Time will tell if it is a good decision.

lustyd

Visit site
The Navico ones seem to have their battery die from water ingress and/or age so reliability of the signal is irrelevant in many cases. When I looked at forums the mast head unit seemed to regularly unpair and be a pain to reconnect.
I went wired and would do so again.

Bagbog

Visit site
our tactic (Raymarine) windex failed this year (after having just repaired the bearing pack) so was 400 incl vat ror a repair from raymarine.

the wireless connection is pretty stable and reliable when working.

you just have to balance the risk and inconvenience or running a cable versus the relibility of the solar powered, wifi card and rechargable battery pack.

the replacement battery packs (with new seal and lid) are available for 60 & you can buy new bearing packs for the anemometer but the pcb it's self is not available & is subject to damage if any moisture gets in. so you have to pay 300 & something + vat

we've been most of this season without ours and am thinking to save 6 months wear & tear just leave it in the box till next april.

does anyone take theirs off for the winter as a matter of course i wonder?

Boathook

Visit site
I used to take my wind vane down at the end of the season but haven't done so for the last 5 years.

When I was taking it off regularly, I seemed to be the only one. Mainly stopped as getting up the mast has become more difficult over the years .....

lustyd

Visit site
Surely removing it just risks damage and corrosion to the connections. If the vane gets damaged it's a 5 minute repair, if the base is damaged you may need to drop the mast!

fredrussell

Visit site
our tactic (Raymarine) windex failed this year (after having just repaired the bearing pack) so was 400 incl vat ror a repair from raymarine...
There’s a thread currently on Sailing Anarchy where it has been stated that Raymarine have stopped making Tactic stuff for good now, but I don’t know if/how that will affect availability of spares.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I went with a wireless B&G 6 years ago. It worked perfectly for five years then I lost the signal. At haul out in Jan I changed the battery and it worked for a month then signal lost again. I’m too old to be climbing masts these days so I’m going without until the next haul out as finding someone in Valencia to go up has been impossible. I would go wired next time.

mrangry

Visit site
I have the B&G wireless wind unit and experienced no issues in four years. I chose it over the wired unit as my boat was afloat at the time of fitting and was just easier. If the battery fails its no real biggie not having wind speed and direction on instruments

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
I have the B&G wireless wind unit and experienced no issues in four years. I chose it over the wired unit as my boat was afloat at the time of fitting and was just easier. If the battery fails its no real biggie not having wind speed and direction on instruments
+1 on the experience, with B&G. Stargazer’s mast was down, for new rigging & rewire, when fitted. 1 less wire felt like a good idea.

Laser310

Visit site
I have the tacktick and I hate it.

A friend has had the B&G wireless wind for probably four years, and he likes it quite a bit.

He has it on a race boat, and it is rather limited compared with their race wind sensors, but he thinks it's worth the convenience.

alan_d

Visit site
Personally, I'd never rely on a wireless bit of kit up a mast.
Hmm. I have had a Tacktick masthead anemometer for the past 15 years which has worked perfectly. Over the same time the cables to the masthead VHF aerial and the steaming light have required replacement.