Winter's over?

chriscallender

Visit site
Winter\'s over?

Just got confimation that my boat has an appointment with the crane a week today on March 5, looking back seems like no time at all since it came out in October although at that time March seemed a lifetime away.

Does everyone count the days (well at least the weeks) over winter or is it just me?

Suppose that means that we'll get at least force 10 all of the wekend after next.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Re: Winter\'s over?

I'm going for re-entry on Friday 28th - just one month after I took it out.

Not bad eh!

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://hometown.aol.co.uk/geoffwestgarth/myhomepage/travelwriting.html>Click for website!</A>

Johnjo

Visit site

Mine came out a long, long time ago, back in october,
going back in on the12 april, still seems like a age away!!
And yes, I am counting every day.

mike

<hr width=100% size=1>

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
Winter\'s over?

Last weekend my wife and I slept aboard our boat. With the heater on it was cosy, with 20 degrees inside, a nice supper and a bottle of wine, but.....

Outside it was -10, and the boat sits in 30 cm of solid ice....

So, the winter´s NOT over!

'Report from Stockholm'

<hr width=100% size=1>

chriscallender

Visit site

Silly question time, doesn't the ice crush the boat? I guess at least you don't have to worry too much about your mooring lines, its not going anywhere in a hurry if they break!

I was over in Stockholm for 1 week last November and weather wasn't so much different from here, about zero degrees, no snow and no frozen water. So it must have got a lot colder since then. Hopefully work won't send me back for a couple of months till it warms up!

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
No, the ice...

...wont chrush the boat as long you stay in an area which is sheltered from currents and wind press - if the ice begins to move you'll probably end up with the same fate as Schackleton´s 'Endeavour'.
I´ve been leaving my boats in the ice for 12 years now, the worst winter I've experinced so far was -95/96, when checking the thickness by drilling, it was 74 centimetres!

The real winter here begun about ane week before x-mas, and in January we had a couple of weeks with temperatures well below -20 during the nights....

So, if you can, stay away from Stockholm one more month!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Viking

Visit site
Re: Winter\'s over? Not yet

I agree with 'gunnarsilins'. We have had some super weather over the passed two weeks, cold at night but bright sunny days with clear blue skies, some of which have even been warmish and it feels like spring. But you are always have the feeling that these still time for it to snow.
At least you can bring some of those jobs onboard forward.

<hr width=100% size=1>

warrior40

Visit site

We have spent every weekend on the boat since Christmas, even New Year, have diesel heater which heats the boat to 20 deg.C We have had some beautiful weather and I even wore shorts last weekend to polish the hull. Still counting the minutes though. Psychologically, March seems nearer, but I remember being on the boat in May with snow on the deck....roll on our return to bluer water

<hr width=100% size=1>

Cornishman

Visit site

Summer has definitely arrived in the far SW. It hasn't stopped raining here for nearly 48 hours

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: out early in late?

did you book the date, or have choice? My UK exp was that everyone who came out early went to the back of the yard, whereas the later lot went back in early too. Mind you, the early outs nicked all the decent ladders and powerleads so we had mildew with no power for a dehumidifier...

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk

We've been out most weekends this year (including New Years eve). It's been a bit chilly on accasions and we've been very glad of the heater. This time of year we have an almost empty Solent and vacant berths everywhere. Glad to report that we had a good meal at the Folly a couple of weeks back after indifferent service last year. There are more stinkies than raggies this time of year but a much more relaxed and friendly attitude from everyone.

Am I looking forward to Spring? Well yes but:

1 Solent crowded again
2 Winter rates over
3 Sunsail flotilla gets in ahead of us
4 Constant radio checks
5 Prats arrive and fuel 'Us and Them' conflicts

Must buy some sun cream and extra fenders in preparation. The rig is well tuned so an early sprint across La Manche is imminent. Have recently converted to DSC (awaiting MMSI) so it will be interesting to see if this improves communications this season.

On balance, it will be nice to see everyone out again!
Happy Sailing

<hr width=100% size=1>