Wintering in USA

Gazza

Visit site
Am planning to leave in late August for a Transatlantic circuit over two years, with the idea of wintering the boat (Vancouver 32) on the east coast of the US, possibly somewhere on the ICW.

Any thoughts/experiences that would help?

Thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

kgi

Visit site
there are fairly good facilities at Stuart in florida approx one mile off ICW, west marine and all local shops are right there, titusville has a municipal marina right on the icw very freindly staff, stores are further out but its not bad, these places are affordable for us cruisers on a budget, if you don't mind the occaisonal frost, there is a place called green cove springs marina up the st johns river near jacksonville,its where i put my own boat, its also got one of the lowest charges for alongside and on the hard you will find anywhere in florida, good people, all the facilities are fairly close, theres always someone who will give you a lift..there address is green cove springs marina po box 1005 green cove springs fl32043 usa....tel no is904 284 1811...if you do book this marina, do it early.....like when you hit barbados if you wish PM me and we can arrange a hook up, as i have a house on andros on the north end, i can give you my phone no. and when you get over i'll give you the 50p tour.......keith

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
There are loads of smallish marinas all along the ICW most of which would be quite suitable for leaving a yacht. Plus a few mega ones in the major cities like the Bahia Mar in Fort Lauderdale FL or Ocean Marine in Portsmouth VA but these are expensive, even by UK standards.

Good air links are probably an important consideration, so my guess is you need to focus on the big cities. Security issues are not really different from here. There are problems in some cities, particularly in Florida, but generally the marinas in those places provide decent security. Do make sure though. It's much more relaxed in the small towns, specially in the Carolinas.

The only place I've left a yacht there for any time was at a smallish yard called Summerfields, in Fort Lauderdale, not far from the airport, and that was just fine.

Incidentally winter and spring is very much 'the season' on the ICW, particularly in Florida. Its hot and humid in summer, with risk of hurricanes.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Feralcat

Visit site
I don't know how long you plan on leaving your boat, but if it is over three months have you considered putting it up on the hard?
FL marinas can be rather pricy, and even including the haulout you should save quite a bit by hauling.
Rich
PS There is an excellent guide called Skipper Bob's guide to Marinas. Very informative and reasonably priced ($14). Let me know if you can't find one there and I can arrange to have one shipped to you.

<hr width=100% size=1>

yachtoasis

Visit site
Oyster Creek St Augustine FL ...fantastic. Good company...West Marine down the street....We were there last summer.
Hope you don't intend to start an Atlantic crossing in August.
Safe time late November from Canaries ...NOT west of 40 West till 15/12
Good Luck
Oasis

<hr width=100% size=1>

Abaker

Visit site
My wife & I have wintered aboard several times at the Ashley Marina in Charleston SC, just off the ICW. It's a very good family-run marina and Charleston is a great city. Winter is their low season so prices are OK. There was frost a few nights which burned off by noon. Palms & flowers and lots of sun. A little cool for swimming, but fine for sailing, walking, etc. If your mast is more than 55 ft above the water you can't go there because of a fixed bridge, but the City Marina just next door is also very good and has no height limit. (Of course summer is hurricane season so we went north then.)

<hr width=100% size=1>