Wintering in the Eastern Med.

Bayfly

Visit site
Anyone recommend a good spot to overwinter, e.g. Kemer, Antalya etc.? Requirements include: sheltered berth, reasonable on-shore facilities, & not too many days of rain!

<hr width=100% size=1>

HenryB

www.ballgate.com
I can second Finike, an excellent marina. Kemer also has a good reputation and probably has more organised social events for winter liveaboards. If you like to sail for a few days when the weather is settled then Finike would be a better choice as there is the very well protected area at Kekova, just 15 miles away.
I haven't been to Antalya marina but I think it is within the commercial port which might be a disadvantage, although Antalya is a modern city and stays busy during the winter.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bayfly

Visit site
Thanks for responses. Finike it is then! Any possibility of a flight to U.K. from,say, Antalya or Dalaman in the middle of winter?

<hr width=100% size=1>

HenryB

www.ballgate.com
JMC fly to Antalya all year round, so there's always a chance of a cheap charter flight. Get your taxi between Antalya and Finike arranged beforehand by the marina because the taxi company based at the marina will do the 140 mile round trip for about 50 Euro.
If you are planning flights between the UK and Antalya which cover a longer period than the charterers will allow then try Turkish Airlines. We found that by booking early (over the Net) and choosing the cheapest times, we could get flights from Heathrow to Antalya via Istanbul for about £270 return.
Flying to Dalaman is also an option but its a long taxi ride to Finike - there's also an ongoing feud between Dalaman and Finike taxi drivers so you get collected by private car with someone riding "shotgun" - all adds to the excitement.

<hr width=100% size=1>
Should have mentioned, there are some safe anchorages in the Fethiye to Finike area where it is possible to anchor all year round and still be close to civilisation.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by HenryB on 29/03/2004 10:14 (server time).</FONT></P>

Bayfly

Visit site
Hi! Have stayed in Setur's marinas at both Cesme & Kusadasi, with no complaints. Haven't been east of the bay of Fethiye before- what's the winter weather like?

<hr width=100% size=1>

miki_b

www.catamaran-2-oceans.com
Hi! Normally we go there in the summer, but we have friends who lived in finike marina for the last three years and they are very pleased with the whole setup. I suppose you will have some rainy days and some cold wind from the mountains in the north but not more than anywhere else in Turkey.
All the best, Michael

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bayfly

Visit site
Thanks for the travel info.- I've since found that there are also flights by Thomas Cook and First Choice between MAN/ANT right thro. winter,- 3 days per week!
Have you any winter weather details, please?

<hr width=100% size=1>