Wintering in the Baltic

pandroid

www.kissen.co.uk
Has anybody any suggestions on where to overwinter a boat in the Baltic? (Danish side). And whats the best thing to do - pull the boat out, leaving a heater inside? I understood it was a bit cold (i.e. Frozen) to leave in over the winter. Are there any yards with reasonable security and take an interest in the well being of laid up boats?

I speak from a UK experience of the boat being ignored. I came back once after 4 weeks to find the cover whipped to shreds and the cockpit like a swimming pool (cover blocked the drains). Any more water in it and I think the boat would have fallen off the cradle.

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
I've just left my yacht at Thurobund boatyard (www.tyk-yacht.dk) in Denmark. It was recomended to me by a British couple I met out there who left their boat out there last year.

The boat is stored inside a large shed, which should solve most of your worries. While I can't say how well they look after the boat, they were all helpful and freindly for the three days I was there.

Cost was expensive for Denmark (as not many places keep the boat indoors) but still cheap compared to a UK yard.

roger

Overwinter in Sweden, sail in Northern Baltic, liv
Visit site
A. try buying the CAs guide to Baltic Lay-ups. Their Baltic Section is quite useful in other ways too.
I laid up in Kullavik Batvarv a few miles south of Gothenberg. Dan and Olav Manhed are good people and I was satisfied with their work. The basic cost in 2000 - 1 was 5300 swedish crowns - in out wash off mast up and down. There were extra costs for covering etc. You'll find the Kullavik marina in the free Swedish marina guide.

whisper

Visit site
Casting my mind back to holidays in Sweden as a youngster, I don't think that the Southern half of the Baltic does generally freeze. You may therefore not have to haul out unless you want to, depending on where the boat will be.

whisper

Visit site
Casting my mind back to holidays in Sweden as a youngster, I don't think that the Southern half of the Baltic does generally freeze. You may therefore not have to haul out unless you want to, depending on where the boat will be.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
You could try the British Kiel Yacht Club situated just North of the Kiel Canal. They have (or used to have) one of the biggest wooden buildings in Europe for wintering boats and superb maintenance facilities as well. Being part of the forces it is english speaking, and with the pressure on costs these days might well be disposed to a bit of extra income. The Baltic does freeze over but this largely due to the higher content of fresh water, not withstanding that it gets cold, very cold.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
There\'s a photograph...

I think in Brian Navin's pilot, but maybe elsewhere, of a harbour in Kiel with ice about 1 metre thick. I'm fairly sure he says that nobody leaves their boats afloat. A German boatowner at Hellevoetsluis has told me that he has seen situations at Kiel when prolonged northerlies brought huge quantities of floating ice down the fjord, piling it up several metres high in the marinas.