Winter storage in the Ionian

Sunnysailing

Visit site
Hi all we are new to this but looking to buy a 38 ft yacht in the Ionian this year and would like info on keeping the yacht ashore . Cost , location , access , security and own maintenance . Also what about healt h insurance as we are planning on being away for about 8 months . Any help please

Hardmy

Visit site
Hi, welcome to the Ionian.

reasonably priced:
- Ionion, Aktion and Cleopatra. The 3 yards in Preveza. Each yard has "+" and "-". Some will oblige you to use their own workers for servicing your boat.
Very close to Preveza airport with flights to London, Birmingham and Manchester. Flight operations start in may and resume in october. Hence, access in the winter is more difficult from N-Europe.

- Messolonghi Marina.
No direct experience though. According to htis forum, the recurrent problems with the management seem to be solved.

more expensive, the only two "real" marinas in the Greek Ionian:
- Levkas Marina
Also quite close to Preveza airport.

- Gouvia Marina
Corfu airport offers much more flight connections.

By googling this forum, you will find out much more fresh infos!

I am no UK national/resident, so cannot help on health insurance topics I'm afraid.

Best wishes,

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Any of the three yards at Preveza, not a lot to choose between them. Ionion Marine will accept payment in sterling, which may be helpful. No problems with own maintenance, IM have a small workshop for owners' use.

What health insurance do you want? EHIC works well in Greece, I have had surgery in Greece and know people who have had major treatments without additional payment.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Any of the three yards at Preveza, not a lot to choose between them. Ionion Marine will accept payment in sterling, which may be helpful. No problems with own maintenance, IM have a small workshop for owners' use.

What health insurance do you want? EHIC works well in Greece, I have had surgery in Greece and know people who have had major treatments without additional payment.

+1 on both counts.
We also spent a winter in Messilonghi which we found to be OK, albeit basic. We now keep out boat in Ionian where we are very happy with things. All three Preveza yards are happy for you to work on your own boat with no restrictions.

Sunnysailing

Visit site
Hi, welcome to the Ionian.

reasonably priced:
- Ionion, Aktion and Cleopatra. The 3 yards in Preveza. Each yard has "+" and "-". Some will oblige you to use their own workers for servicing your boat.
Very close to Preveza airport with flights to London, Birmingham and Manchester. Flight operations start in may and resume in october. Hence, access in the winter is more difficult from N-Europe.

- Messolonghi Marina.
No direct experience though. According to htis forum, the recurrent problems with the management seem to be solved.

more expensive, the only two "real" marinas in the Greek Ionian:
- Levkas Marina
Also quite close to Preveza airport.

- Gouvia Marina
Corfu airport offers much more flight connections.

By googling this forum, you will find out much more fresh infos!

I am no UK national/resident, so cannot help on health insurance topics I'm afraid.

Best wishes,

Other threads that may be of interest